Bugaboo2

Family member received an inheritance and shared it with her siblings. How do I record the receipt of $88,630? I was not included in the estate along with my brother, but my sister in a spirit of fair play split it up.

Mike9241

sis made a gift and needs to file a gift tax return. you are not taxed on the gift so there is nothing to report in your income tax return. 

fanfare

you don't report an inheritance on your federal tax return unless it is from a tax-deferred account and the tax was not already paid.

@Bugaboo2 

Mike9241

GIFTS

Money that you receive as a gift is not taxable income to you, and you do not need to report it on your income tax return.  Money that you gave as a gift to someone else is not deductible for your taxes.

Turbo Tax does not support the gift tax form 709, but here is a link:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f709.pdf

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/estates/the-gift-tax-made-simple/L5tGWVC8N

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleaebeling/2017/10/19/irs-announces-2018-estate-and-gift-tax-limits-...

Bugaboo2

Thank you for your help!

Bugaboo2

Thank you so much for your help!!