turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

abwhite33

I have filed my taxes and it keeps rejecting it because it isnt the right pin. I have put the pin in from last years tax returns and it is saying it is incorrect?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
SandraM

I have filed my taxes and it keeps rejecting it because it isnt the right pin. I have put the pin in from last years tax returns and it is saying it is incorrect?

Even if you are sure you entered the correct PIN, go through the solution below to make sure you didn't overlook anything. We want to help you successfully e-file your return.

For tax returns that are rejected due to invalid PIN follow these directions found in TurboTax FAQ: 

This is frustrating – you keep getting rejected for the wrong AGI even though you've copied it from the 2016 return sitting right in front of you.

For some reason, the IRS has a different AGI in their database. Your job is to find out what that number is so you can e-file.

Start by getting a free IRS transcript for your 2016 return. (Also get a transcript for your spouse, if you're filing jointly in 2017 and your spouse filed a separate 2016 return).

On your transcript, look for ADJUSTED GROSS INCOME (you may need to look on page 2). This is the number in the IRS database; make sure the AGI you enter matches this number exactly.

If you're unable to order an IRS transcript, try entering 0 as your AGI, assuming you haven't already gone that route. You can also try entering last year's signature ID (instructions below).

Failing that, you can opt to file a paper return; follow the solution steps above, except select File by mail when it appears.

• If you previously chose to pay your TurboTax fees (if any) with your federal refund, then before changing to File by mail, you’ll need to change your method of payment to credit or debit card. Here's how.

Please review the following Turbo Tax FAQ for more information:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300702

SGRI1

The PIN I put in were wrong.  How do I get into the right page to correct the errors?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

This Turbo Tax FAQ will show you how to update your AGI. https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jlg81

My federal tax return keeps rejecting because I put in the wrong pin.  How can I correct the pin and resubmit electronically?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

There are two pins: the IP PIN (6 digit) and the e-file pin (5 digits).

If you mean the IP PIN, it was mailed to you in December by the IRS. 

Please see the following links at the IRS website:

IP PIN FAQ

How to get your IP PIN

How to retrieve your IP PIN

If you mean the e-file pin, please note that the IRS is moving away from these and would rather you use your 2019 AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) from line 8b on your 2019 1040.

i know mi pin but where i make put in to make corection

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Have you filed your return yet @jolanta domaradzka?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies