Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a form 1099div form for a reit where do i enter this form. Is there special handling of REITs

is REITs handled differently than other than 1099-Div on which my infor came from

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomK
Expert Alumni

I received a form 1099div form for a reit where do i enter this form. Is there special handling of REITs

Enter your 1099-DIV form by reading the FAQ below; please note the instructions before the FAQ.

Mark the small box under the Box 1b-qualified dividends to open up all of the available box numbers for form 1099-DIV. Once the box is checked, Box 2b - Unrecap.Sec. 1250 gain will be visible.

"My form has info in more than just these boxes (this is uncommon)."  Please see screenshot below.

Please note: Non dividend distributions do not go anywhere on your actual tax return. Box 3 is for your information. Box 3 is a "return of capital". That is, you have been given back part of your original investment. As such, you reduce your cost basis, by the box 3 amount, in your own records, for when this investment (typically stock or mutual fund) is sold in the future.

Please read this TurboTax FAQ for additional information on how to enter a 1099-DIV in TurboTax Online: Where do I enter my 1099-DIV in TurboTax Online?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TomK
Expert Alumni

What box(es) have entries on your 1099-DIV?

boxes 2a, 2b, 3,  thank you for responding
TomK
Expert Alumni

Enter your 1099-DIV form by reading the FAQ below; please note the instructions before the FAQ.

Mark the small box under the Box 1b-qualified dividends to open up all of the available box numbers for form 1099-DIV. Once the box is checked, Box 2b - Unrecap.Sec. 1250 gain will be visible.

"My form has info in more than just these boxes (this is uncommon)."  Please see screenshot below.

Please note: Non dividend distributions do not go anywhere on your actual tax return. Box 3 is for your information. Box 3 is a "return of capital". That is, you have been given back part of your original investment. As such, you reduce your cost basis, by the box 3 amount, in your own records, for when this investment (typically stock or mutual fund) is sold in the future.

Please read this TurboTax FAQ for additional information on how to enter a 1099-DIV in TurboTax Online: Where do I enter my 1099-DIV in TurboTax Online?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies