turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hey, I have a wedding photography/floral design business and a freelance journalism career (that also includes photography). How do I know which is my main career?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Hey, I have a wedding photography/floral design business and a freelance journalism career (that also includes photography). How do I know which is my main career?

Where are you seeing this question?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After I file my 1099MISC. Sorry, would have put more details but it cut my question off with the word limit!

I still make more money with my wedding photography/floral design business, but my journalism career is growing.
KarenW
Intuit Alumni

You decide how you report your business or in your case businesses. Each Schedule C is personalized for the type of work (business) you are in.  If you only file one Schedule C for all your businesses, select a type that makes sense. If you keep your business income and expenses separately, you can enter a Schedule C for each business and enter the type of work for each.

Hope this helps!

Okay, thanks. What do I do about deductions like my health insurance that would apply to both businesses?
KarenW
Intuit Alumni

Enter it in the one with the most net profit. Turbotax will figure the deduction using all the of your Self-employed businesses net profits.

Self-employed health insurance deduction goes on Form 1040 Schedule 1 line 29, as long as the expense is not greater than your Net Profit on schedule C individually.    If the Insurance is more than your Net Profit on each of your Schedule Cs you can split it up and enter it on each schedule C so you don't go over the net profit on either one.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies