turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AskShould I claim 1 or 0 allowances on my w4? Should I check Married or Married, but withhold at higer rate?

Do I have to claim myself as an allowance ( entering 1 on line 5) on my W4? I'm worried about owing money at the end of the year. My husband works and makes much more money than I do, as I have a part time job at 10.25 an hour.  He however makes less than 65,000 a year.

Also should I check married or married, but with hold at higher single rate? What is the difference?

I am not claiming anything else just myself as an allowance if that is the logical thing to do.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

AskShould I claim 1 or 0 allowances on my w4? Should I check Married or Married, but withhold at higer rate?

Please keep your related questions in one thread.

I highly recommend    married, but with hold at higher single rate  and ZERO allowances on line 5 since you are the lower wage earner and you don't want to owe.    If your spouse uses married and 2 allowances then he may need to reduce that to zero as well if you find you still don't have enough withheld. 

My husband has 1 allowance and Married and we have always received a return prior to me working.

That should be fine if you use my suggestion above.

If you find the refund is too large then later you can add some allowances to your W-4 ... but always use the Single option.

what is the difference between the two options of married or married but withhold .....?

Easiest way to answer that question is for you to look at the IRS Pub 15 .... charts start on page 43 ... find your pay period & the single or married charts then look accross the allowance columns ...
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15.pdf</a>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies