turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jslee77

Download online version

I'd like to file my dependent son's EZ and state -- I did last year.  But this year, I have the online version.  How do I download online?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Download online version

The TurboTax download version and online version are two separate versions of the software. If you are using online, you are in a web browser and went to www.turbotax.com and created an account online to prepare your return. The download is actually installed on your computer and you open it to prepare the return there on the computer. 

If you are using the Online version, you will have to do a new, separate online account (with a different user ID) for each federal return you want to prepare and purchase for each (if you need to use a paid version of the online software). If you do another return under the same username you did your own return, it will override the one you already filed and lose everything for that return. It's always been this way online. 

If you need to purchase the desktop (CD/download) versions of TurboTax, you can find that here https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare/desktop/ 

When you click on Buy Now, it will ask you to select download for either PC/Windows or a Mac. Or you can choose to select the link right under those that says "I'd like to order a CD" if you prefer to have a CD shipped to you.  

The CD/Download (desktop version) product is a better overall value for people who prepare tax returns for their friends and family. This one will allow you to prepare and print unlimited federal returns and e-file up to five at no extra cost. You can find the desktop versions here https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/  

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Download online version

The TurboTax download version and online version are two separate versions of the software. If you are using online, you are in a web browser and went to www.turbotax.com and created an account online to prepare your return. The download is actually installed on your computer and you open it to prepare the return there on the computer. 

If you are using the Online version, you will have to do a new, separate online account (with a different user ID) for each federal return you want to prepare and purchase for each (if you need to use a paid version of the online software). If you do another return under the same username you did your own return, it will override the one you already filed and lose everything for that return. It's always been this way online. 

If you need to purchase the desktop (CD/download) versions of TurboTax, you can find that here https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare/desktop/ 

When you click on Buy Now, it will ask you to select download for either PC/Windows or a Mac. Or you can choose to select the link right under those that says "I'd like to order a CD" if you prefer to have a CD shipped to you.  

The CD/Download (desktop version) product is a better overall value for people who prepare tax returns for their friends and family. This one will allow you to prepare and print unlimited federal returns and e-file up to five at no extra cost. You can find the desktop versions here https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/  

Hazel8

Download online version

I made a mistake purchasing the online version thinking I could still download to my computer.  I don't want to buy again, can Turbo tax help?  I don't want just online.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Download online version

@Hazel8 If you have completed your purchase in TurboTax Online, you will need to contact a TurboTax representative to assist you. Please see this TurboTax FAQ to get you to the right person: What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies