Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Double W2 From Same Employer

I received two W2's from the same company for two different locations within the same state. Between these two, Box 1 being Wages, Tips, Other comp. both list the income I've made overall between the two stores. When I go to insert both of these W2's into TurboTax, it adds these incomes together doubling what I actually made. Am I supposed to zero out one of these forms and if so, how much am I supposed to zero out? Also, on the store that I had made significantly less income in, there is no reported State Income Tax taken out. Does this mean that there was no State Tax taken out at all, or would it have only been reported on the other form? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is the EIN number in box b the same or different?  If it is different then enter both of them separately.

If the EIN number is the same and you work in more than 1 state or city, sometimes they will give you another W2 with the extra state information on it and the top part the same or not filled in.  If this is the case, list one W-2 but include both state or local  taxes on it.  It will let you type in more than one line for boxes 15-20.  Don't add the boxes together.  Same for boxes 12 & 14 if there is no room on the first W2 they can give you another W2 with the extra boxes on it.  So list them all on 1 W2.  For box 12 just enter it in the next row or box.  It doesn't have to match the box 12c etc.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Make sure one is not an Corrected W-2. 

Check with the employer's payroll department. The IRS  will assume your income is the total of both box 1 amounts combined. If that is not the case, you need the employer to issue a corrected W-2 for you to use. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I explained the exact issue as stated here to my employers payroll department that handles W2 issues, and they claimed that it is correct and rather an issue with the software that I am using. Being that TurboTax does not want to provide any customer support without their share of money, I do not know where to go from here. I can call back tomorrow and insist it should be corrected, but as stated here, they insist it is correct.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Do you have your pay stubs or a listing of payroll deposits to your bank to demonstrate to the payroll official that the W-2 box 1 numbers are incorrect?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Is the EIN number in box b the same or different?  If it is different then enter both of them separately.

If the EIN number is the same and you work in more than 1 state or city, sometimes they will give you another W2 with the extra state information on it and the top part the same or not filled in.  If this is the case, list one W-2 but include both state or local  taxes on it.  It will let you type in more than one line for boxes 15-20.  Don't add the boxes together.  Same for boxes 12 & 14 if there is no room on the first W2 they can give you another W2 with the extra boxes on it.  So list them all on 1 W2.  For box 12 just enter it in the next row or box.  It doesn't have to match the box 12c etc.

Thank you, the other answers were completely wrong and unhelpful which led me to fighting with my employer when the w2 was already correct. I appreciate the answer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies