turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Don't see line 8a on 1098

Of all the posts copy/pasting what what the built-in help text says, this one is the most worthless.

This fixes the problem.   I had my mortgage sold last year and the default answer that deductions are limited is wrong     Once I changed the check box on the line titled "Does your mortgage interest need to be limited " to no on smart worksheet within Tax & int wks  then the 1098's were included and schedule A becomes included.   I flagged this problem to Turbotax over a month ago, and there have been at least 2 updates to the program since, and neither fixed the issue.     It's a good thing I understood what my tax liability should be before I started my taxes.    I wonder how many people will mis-file because of this error in the program.  I've been using Turbotax for many years, and this is the first time it let me down.     

So is there any way to revert back to "no" on the question of limiting the interest deduction on the web version of the software??

I am using web version. The radio button is greyed for me.  This is a blocking issue!

Copying the value from Line 1 to Line 2 was the solution that worked for me. None of the other solutions worked and the error definitely wasn't fixed in an update. Thank you!!

LuckieB

"Copying the value from Line 1 to Line 2 was the solution that worked for me."  This also worked for me.

texas_ex

I did the same thing copying Line 1 to Line 2 and it worked.  I was going crazy trying to figure out what went wrong until I came across this post! 

Thank you for posting this error. Im on the same boat. Did you find a solution? 

Copying the value from line 1 to line 2 is what worked for me and a few other people!

Thank you!

elderc01

Same issue here. Online chat and phone call with intuit expert did not help. Online walked me through everything. All went fine. Itemized to get maximum refund. It then said "lets check everything". Result: you need to look at this entry. 

Keep in mind this is the ONLY time as a user of the online product that I can directly access a form. Limited mortgage interest is set to NO. Total mortgage interest is populated above. Then this entry is blank, AND I AM SUPPOSED TO FIX IT! Since it is asking what portion of my mortgage interest should be limited, and there is NO limit for me, I guessed at it and put 0.00. 

Well holy smokes, that screwed me. It then decided that standard deduction was the way to go and my refund dropped 2500.00! No way to return to that form though. No way to return directly to a form EVER AGAIN! So after working with expert for an hour, I wiped out my account and started all over again. I figured this 2+ hours of doing everything again would be shorter and less frustrating than continuing to trouble shoot.

Of course now I am back again. And it finds this entry blank on the form. THE FORM IT IS COMPLETING FOR ME BASED UPON MY ANSWERS. It completes the form wrong, and wants me to put an amount in. Clearly 0.00 is not the answer! So I guess I will copy the amount from the line above, as others on this thread have tried and suggested. 

Remember the good old days when you could access any form directly with a click. For nearly 30 years of using tax software to do this myself, I could always do that. NOT NOW. Garbage Turbotax. Sabotage me by demanding I make ONE ENTRY myself, and allowing that ONE ENTRY to cost me thousands of dollars and then forbidding me to ever return to that form again. You simply could not make up this crap...

ugh, yeah... I also put 0.00, and I also got my deduction messed up because of that, and I also couldn't find the form to have to "fix" it - but there was a solution i found on another thread.

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  4. Select Delete next to the  Tax and Interest worksheet in the list and follow the instructions

After deleting this  Tax and Interest worksheet form, it allowed me to go back and re-enter/confirm all my deductions, that's how I managed to get back to the error window, and then re-enter with the different solution, which was to copy the number from line 1 to line 2.

A hassle, and from what I've read on other threads, it sounds like this error was supposed to be fixed in an update, but definitely wasn't. I don't use the Turbotax software, just the online version, so maybe that's where we're getting hosed! I'm glad you were able to figure it out though 🙂

This issue is happening in the Online tool as well. But glad copying lines 1 to 2 works fine and submitted successfully.

Miserly loves company seems to be on my mind... As you have the online tool, can you tell me where you did that fix? I can't seem to find it anywhere when I go back through the whole 1098 section! Thanks.

I'm going to copy paste from another comment I posted - it's not because I don't like you - it's because I wanna make sure I get it right for you!!

there was a solution i found on another thread.

Open or continue your return in TurboTax.

In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.

In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.

Select Delete next to the Tax and Interest worksheet in the list and follow the instructions

After deleting this Tax and Interest worksheet form, it allowed me to go back and re-enter/confirm all my deductions, that's how I managed to get back to the error window, and then re-enter with the different solution, which was to copy the number from line 1 to line 2.

Hopefully this works for you!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies