turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does Turbotax keep an electronic copy of my tax return that is efiled to the IRS even though I am using the downloaded software?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
maglib
Level 11

Does Turbotax keep an electronic copy of my tax return that is efiled to the IRS even though I am using the downloaded software?

no they do not.Tax returns prepared in the TurboTax CD/download software are stored locally, on your computer.

Even if you e-filed your return, you'll still need to look for your return on your computer or storage device, as they don't retain copies of TurboTax CD/Download returns like they do with TurboTax Online.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

View solution in original post

23 Replies
maglib
Level 11

no they do not.Tax returns prepared in the TurboTax CD/download software are stored locally, on your computer.

Even if you e-filed your return, you'll still need to look for your return on your computer or storage device, as they don't retain copies of TurboTax CD/Download returns like they do with TurboTax Online.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

I need a copy of  my federal 2019 tax return. as will has the amended 2019 return.

Thanks for any help with matter.

William

@ [email address removed]

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

For help with accessing your 2019 tax return please click the link below.

How do I access a prior year return? - TurboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
jcd530
Returning Member

@jcd530 wrote:

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

jcd530
Returning Member

I did the taxes for an elderly friend and TT overwrote my tax data. Is there a way I can retrieve the files that TT overwrote?

I need a copy of my 2019 and 2020 tax return. 

@Swamyt03  wrote:

I need a copy of my 2019 and 2020 tax return. 

To access your prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the section Your tax returns & documents.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

Or go to this IRS website for free federal tax return transcripts - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

For a fee of $43 you can get a complete federal tax return from the IRS by completing Form 4506 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

SBA36P

My printer and lap top don't work. How can I  get a copy for my records? 

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Since your computer and laptop is not working, please see this TurboTax Help Article for other options. 

If you filed your taxes through TurboTax Online or the Mobile App and have access to a mobile device, please see How do I save my return as a PDF in the mobile app? for instructions.

@SBA36P

So you're saying you didn't print a copy for your records or save it to a thumb drive?

dba178
Returning Member

How do you know that they don't retain a copy of what you e-filed please?

Is there any official statement by Intuit on this?

dba178
Returning Member

I think you misunderstood the question.

How do you know that they don't retain a copy of what you E-FILED please? Because e-filing means you send your return through Intuit.

Is there any official statement by Intuit on this?

@dba178   What exactly is your question?  This is an old thread.  Did you use the Online version or the Desktop CD/Download program?  If you used the Online version your copy is in your online account.  Unless you went back in and changed anything or amended it.  The Online version only saves the last version of your current return, plus any prior year online returns.

Did you use the Desktop program?  Then the only copy is on your computer and any backups you made even if you efiled.  I'll look through the FAQs to see if they say that, I'm sure one does.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies