byufdr4

Does it matter who makes income if filing jointly?

When I was entering W2's I accidentally had told Turbotax that is was my wife's W2. 

Later I saw that and changed it to me, but when I changed that W2 to be mine my refund went down by about $700.  I would think if I am married filing jointly it wouldn't matter whose name it is assigned to to calculate taxes.  

She also had a W2 but she works part time and makes a fraction of what is on my W2. Out of curiosity I actually changed both her W2 and my W2 to my name and again I got the higher refund amount. 

So it's only when I assign the W2's to the right person that my refund goes down.  Does that make sense?

macuser_22

Yes that can happen because the amount of Social Security and Medicare tax withheld would all go to one spouse and could result in a refund of the excess.     When properly  assigned to the correct spouse there is no excess and no refund of excess.

Yes probably because of excess Social Security tax in box 4.

For 2020 the max for Social Security is $8,537.40 on $137,700 of wages PER PERSON.  If you entered both your and her W2s under the same name then box 4  was more than the max.