Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does child's SSI get counted with my AGI?

My child currently receives SSI for special needs. When I looked at my tax return from 2018, it says my AGI was $30,076 but my W-2 i made about 22,000. Is his SSI being counted with my AGI? It says online that a child's SSI should not affect my taxes but it seems to be that way. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Did you enter the child's Social Security benefits for 2018 on your tax return?  Look at the Form 1040 Line 5a for total SS benefits entered.  If there is no entry on Line 5a then the benefits were not entered.  If the child's benefits were entered then you need to amend the 2018 tax return to remove the benefits.

A dependent child's Social Security benefits are never entered on your tax return.  If the child has no other income they do not report the benefits received on a tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a 2018 tax return if necessary - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-a-return-in-turbotax/01/27579

Just checked there is nothing on line 5a but I think in my return last on TurboTax asked if my child receives SSI, which is why I reported it. Do I still report him even if it asks that question?

No, you do not report a child's SS benefits.

SSI is Supplemental Security Income and is not from the Social Security Administration. It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and. It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter. SSI is not reported on a tax return.

Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits are reported on a form SSA-1099 and is from the Social Security Administration.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies