turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does anyone have information on failures in the updater? I logged onto Desktop, TT, Premier for Windows on Friday and the updater locked. It is still locked! HELP!

I used the manual updater link and the federal seems to have loaded but the state (VA) did not and the software locks and then shuts down.  I spoke with a TT agent and received instructions to check my stimulus amount!  Not very helpful!  I believe that I need a backdoor to turn off automatic updating or to disconnect the state module.

I have a case number.  What is the contact to follow up?  The response link provided did not receive email.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Does anyone have information on failures in the updater? I logged onto Desktop, TT, Premier for Windows on Friday and the updater locked. It is still locked! HELP!

@efr4321

Please contact us for additional help on your issue. Please provide your case ID when calling.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

JeanneLO,

My attempts to call TT have resulted in knife fights and battles of tenacity with the AI answering machines. 

When you use "contact us" and "calling" in adjacent sentences much less in the same paragraph, I assume voice contact was intended.  If it will help, the assigned case number was [social security number removed], however, the answers provided there bore no resemblance to the question.  However, you can get my contact information.

If you are asking for further detail in a post: I logged into Premier (Win Desktop) and the Updater took control and then locked up and then shut down.  Multiple attempts later, I gave up and tried to contact some logic that was not artificial. 

Unfortunately, I knew of no method to disable the Updater without being in TT.  I finally figured out how to do a manual download and that went well - it seemed - but apparently the state had an error and it still shut down.  It appears that the only path forward is to remove the program discard any remaining scraps and then reinstall premier.  But will that count against the number of allowed downloads?

Now we are really having fun!!

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

@efr4321

No, it won't count towards the number of  downloads. You can install TurboTax on up to 5 computers, and if you've uninstalled and reinstalled on the same computer, it only counts as one. Please see this TurboTax FAQ for more information. 

As the character on Laugh In loved to say: "Very interesting"!  I searched the net and found three and five mentioned computers mentioned as the limit  about the same number of times so I was very much in doubt about the number and several of the sources seemed linked to TT.

You are the only respondent to my original question so I assume my reported crash to be a random occurrence.  Before I go to the trouble or reinstalling the software, I would like to think that it is not going to be updated and crash again.

efr4321

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

@efr4321

Please reach back out to us if you have any additional issues.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies