Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jkamyiu
Returning Member

Do I need to send two separate 1099-MISC forms if I incorporated in the middle of the year?

Last year, I operated my company as an LLC until April, where I then incorporated into S-Corp. Therefore, I have two different TINs the last year.

For each subcontractor, do I need to file two separate 1099-MISC forms, where one includes my previous TIN and amount paid while as a LLC, and another one with my new TIN and amount paid as an S-Corp?

Or can I just file everything under my current TIN and lump everything together for the year?

Thanks,

John

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
BarbaraW22
Expert Alumni

Do I need to send two separate 1099-MISC forms if I incorporated in the middle of the year?

If the IRS accepted your S-Corporation election on January 1, then you would be able to report the payments to subcontractors on Form 1099-Misc using the identification number from your S-corporation. Otherwise, you will need to have two separate 1099-Misc Forms: one for amounts paid to subcontractors while your business was an LLC and one for amounts paid when your business became an S-Corporation. This is because each business entity reports its income and expenses on a separate tax form.

If the LLC was a one-member LLC, the income and expenses are reported on Schedule C of your individual tax return. Whereas the income and expenses from the S-Corporation must be reported on Form 1120-S. Then, each shareholder of the S-Corp will receive a K-1 that reports his or her share of the net income (loss) from the S-Corp to be reported on their individual tax returns. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jkamyiu
Returning Member

Thank you. Very helpful!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies