turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to send hard copy of tax returns to the governments if I completed Efile?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Doc5108

Do I need to send hard copy of tax returns to the governments if I completed Efile?

Do I need to send anything if I e-file my tax return?
Generally speaking, If you Electronically Filed (E-Filed) your Tax Return you do Not have to sign or mail anything.  The IRS receives a Copy of your W-2 and other information.  Unless you see instructions on your filing instructions page, you're done once the IRS accepts your e-filed return.  I suggest you Print a copy of your Tax Return for your files and Save your Return as a PDF file on your computer.  A little more information below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302289
Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Doc5108

Do I need to send anything if I e-file my tax return?
Generally speaking, If you Electronically Filed (E-Filed) your Tax Return you do Not have to sign or mail anything.  The IRS receives a Copy of your W-2 and other information.  Unless you see instructions on your filing instructions page, you're done once the IRS accepts your e-filed return.  I suggest you Print a copy of your Tax Return for your files and Save your Return as a PDF file on your computer.  A little more information below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302289
Hope this helps.

I have to send in hard copies of my hundreds of stock transactions bcz I only put in totals per what I think I"m allowed to do vs spend weeks entering individual trades.

My question is can I still (now) electronically file my taxes (I'm owed a refund of $3500) then later this week mail  a hard copy of my tax returns with all my individual trades?  Not sure how this works - first time. 

look at the TurboTax instructions.

You only mail in the transaction detail along with a cover sheet called 8453 .

Here you go since I am just now looking at this.

Notice it is a special address just for this purpose.

If you are e-filing your tax return, then mail your statements along with Form 8453 to:

Internal Revenue Service
Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254
Receipt and Control Branch
Austin, TX  73344  0254

Don't include your already filed tax return.

ok ty - assuming tt will print out that 8453 form(?)

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

If you have successfully e-filed your tax return, you do not have to mail anything in unless you need to mail in a payment by April 15.

Retain all your forms in a place where you can find them, should the IRS send you a letter about your tax return at a later time.

See also this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

wait so i DO NOT need to mail in  hardcopy of my individ stock transactions w form 8453 like the other expert yesterday indicated? confused

PattiF
Expert Alumni

It depends if something needs to be mailed to complete the tax return. In your situation, you DO need to mail in the individual stock transactions with Form 8453. This will save you the trouble of entering many stock transactions. 

Here are the instruction for this :Form 8453 and Form 8949

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies