turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to report a 1099-QA?

I have a trust account. How do I go about reporting it on my taxes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies
JohnW152
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, go ahead and report it in TurboTax. 

To enter this information, type 1099-qa in the Search box at the top of the page, then click Jump to 1099-qa to answer questions related to the form. 

The distribution will be taxable if it was used for a purpose other than the support of a disabled individual.  

Thank you, your response helped me quickly and effectively.

What distributions are taxable on a 1099 qa
PattiF
Expert Alumni

The distributions on a 1099-QA are not taxable if they are used for the support of a disabled individual. If the distribution was used for a different purpose than the support of a disabled person, it would be taxable.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
CynthiaNB

How do I enter the distribution amount if it was used for the disabled individual?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

To enter this information, type 1099-qa in the Search box at the top of the page, then click Jump to 1099-qa to answer questions related to the form.    The distribution's earnings will be taxable if it was used for a purpose other than the support of a disabled individual.   

You only need to enter the amounts that were NOT used as support for the disabled individual as these amounts would be taxable.   If you used all of the distributions to support the disabled, it is not taxable.   In this case, keep the 1099-QA with your tax records along with the records of the care provided.  

@CynthiaNB

Do I need to report the 1099QA or 5498QA for my minor children? If so, how? Does he need his own tax return? All money was spent for qualifying disability expenses. Also, I have a 5498-QA for myself. Does that get reported? Thanks!

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

If the amount of money withdrawn from your ABLE account in 2021 doesn't exceed the amount of your qualified disability expenses in 2021, the distributions are not taxable and you don't need to report them as income. Just keep your 1099-QA and 5498QA with your tax records.

@MamaKitty07

I received a 1099-QA for an ABLE account. I do not see a corresponding form 1099-QA in the 1040 forms. Where do I report this info on the 1040?

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

On the Federal return, do a Search (upper right) for 1099-qa and click on the jump-to link (Mac users must search for 1099-qa in the Topics List). Enter the 1099-qa in the Search box and hit Enter - ignore all the suggested Search terms.

I am using the desktop version on a Mac and cannot find where to enter the 1099-QA information (even looking through the topics list). It does not come up using a general search either. All funds were used on behalf of the disabled individual (it is from a STAble account)...so it won't be taxable, but probably needs to be reported and acknowledged anyway? 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

To enter this information, type 1099-QA in the Search box at the top of the page, then click Jump to 1099-QA to answer questions related to the form. The distribution's earnings will be taxable if it was used for a purpose other than the support of a disabled individual.   

You only need to enter the amounts that were NOT used as support for the disabled individual as these amounts would be taxable. If you used all of the distributions to support the disabled, it is not taxable.  In this case, keep the 1099-QA with your tax records along with the records of the care provided.  

rhibbs
Returning Member

This search does not in TurboTax this year. What should I do?

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

It should work (screenshot).

If the amounts on your 1099-QA were used for support of a disabled person, you don't need to enter it in your return.  Just keep it and your receipts for your records.

Here's more info on 1099-QA.

@rhibbs

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies