chouhj

Do I need to file a state tax only because I have bank interest from that state?

I work and live in State A but have interests from a credit union in State B. The credit union only has physical branches in State B, and I opened the accounts a few years ago while I lived there. Do I need to file a tax report for State B just because I got interests from the bank in that state?

JulieCo

No, you do not need to file state taxes for the state (state B) your credit union interest-bearing account is in.  You will need to file taxes with State A where you live and work.

Here is more information for when one would need to file a non-resident return (a return for a state they do not live in):

JulieCo

ajeyaa

TurboTax asks to file return on a state B where I no longer live or work. I wonder if it is due to Interest earned in bank in state B.

JohnW152

@ajeyaa

That wouldn’t seem to be the case.  

But if you earned money in State B during the tax year, that could be what’s triggering the State B return.

Please see the TurboTax Help article When would I have to file returns in more than one state? for more possible solutions.