turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chouhj

Do I need to file a state tax only because I have bank interest from that state?

I work and live in State A but have interests from a credit union in State B. The credit union only has physical branches in State B, and I opened the accounts a few years ago while I lived there. Do I need to file a tax report for State B just because I got interests from the bank in that state?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieCo

Do I need to file a state tax only because I have bank interest from that state?

No, you do not need to file state taxes for the state (state B) your credit union interest-bearing account is in.  You will need to file taxes with State A where you live and work.

Here is more information for when one would need to file a non-resident return (a return for a state they do not live in):

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4777207

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JulieCo

No, you do not need to file state taxes for the state (state B) your credit union interest-bearing account is in.  You will need to file taxes with State A where you live and work.

Here is more information for when one would need to file a non-resident return (a return for a state they do not live in):

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4777207

TurboTax asks to file return on a state B where I no longer live or work. I wonder if it is due to Interest earned in bank in state B.

JohnW152
Employee Tax Expert

@ajeyaa

That wouldn’t seem to be the case.  

But if you earned money in State B during the tax year, that could be what’s triggering the State B return.

Please see the TurboTax Help article When would I have to file returns in more than one state? for more possible solutions.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies