Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to complete schedule if 1099 Statement from stock company is $0? My son had a stock. He had a gain of $550 but didn't take anything out so 0 interest?

TurboTax wants me to pay $100  to upgrade because it says I have to do a schedule because of 1099DIV statement I received from stock company.  But didn't sell the stock so there were no dividends/income/interest.  It just showed a gain of $550.  Do I need to report this?  I was hoping we could stay with the free 1099 since he only earned $250 all of last year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Do I need to complete schedule if 1099 Statement from stock company is $0? My son had a stock. He had a gain of $550 but didn't take anything out so 0 interest?

Are you asking about your own tax return or your son's tax return? You keep switching between "I" and "he." Whose name and Social Security number are on the Form 1099-DIV?

Which box of the Form 1099-DIV is the $550 in?

In general if your son had $550 of income from an investment, That income is taxable. It doesn't matter whether he takes the money out in cash, reinvests it, or does something else with it.

If you are talking about your son, why is he even filing a tax return? If his only income for the year is $250 from working, plus $550 from an investment, he is not required to file.

Can you or anyone else claim your son as a dependent for 2021?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies