Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to report a second W-2 form in which there is no wage shown in Box1 and has only $40 state wage? (international student)

Hi! I am an international student in Connecticut and I have received two W-2 forms. One W-2 form (and 1042-S form) is from the college I am studying at and shows no wages in Box 1 (blank), with only the state wage in Box 16 showing up (around $40) and "Other .20" showing up in Box 14. I also received a second W-2 form for my internship work for last summer, this time showing the wages in Box 1 (under $10,000), the federal tax withheld at that moment (13.4% from my income), and state tax withheld as well (4.13% from the income). Making the calculations, I received as a paycheck for my internship the net income represented by the gross income declared in the W-2 form minus the tax withheld showing up on the W-2 form (I actually received $40 less than what it's declared in the form/they withheld more taxes, but I don't know if that's for another reason). I am filing right now the taxes for the W-2 form for my internship (with the higher income). My question is whether I must also file the other W-2 form received from the college, which has a small income,  blank Box 1, and is under treaty exempt. I tried to add the second W-2 form as well electronically along with the internship W-2 form, but it prompted a message that Box 1 shouldn't be blank and if it is, then I can't e-file that form. If I only report the W-2 form from my internship and omit this one from the college, will that negatively impact me? Do I have to somehow report the second W-2 form as well in another format? Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Do I have to report a second W-2 form in which there is no wage shown in Box1 and has only $40 state wage? (international student)

I would just skip it.  The worst thing that can happen is that the state will make an adjustment to your state tax return and add $40, which could add $2 to the amount of your state tax, and if you have any taxable state income.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

I would just skip it.  The worst thing that can happen is that the state will make an adjustment to your state tax return and add $40, which could add $2 to the amount of your state tax, and if you have any taxable state income.  

Thank you very much for the answer, I will do so!

I had an additional question, if you might be able to help me with it. As I am filing the taxes, I am asked about the American Opportunity Credit and encouraged to upload a 1098-T form from my college. I never directly received a 1098-T form from the college, but I can access an unofficial copy of it on the student portal. To cover my tuition and other expenses, I have paid out of pocket money (around $4,000) for the last year to the college, as the majority of the other tuition amount has been covered by scholarships and financial aid. However, on the document, the amount listed as scholarships in Box 5 is larger than the amount in Box 1 for "Payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses" and I understood from the internet that in that case I shouldn't add the 1098-T form information. Is there a way I could explain that I did make a direct payment to the college in order to cover my tuition (it's called "parental contribution" but I am the one who paid), or should I just omit this completely? I am confused because as a nonresident alien I shouldn't receive a 1098-T form which I technically didn't (it shows up on my portal only and never received notification of it), but on the tax form issued by the college, it appears that I am a resident alien for tax purposes. If I add the 1098-T information, would that be considered an increase in wages, even if it was the opposite? Should I file for a tax extension better and get feedback from the college better about it, then file? Thank you very much again!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

A nonresident alien may qualify.

• Tuition is eligible for an education credit when paid with taxed U.S. dollars. If you can substantiate your claim, go for it.
  • If your scholarship income is greater than tuition, you will have taxable scholarship income from a 1098-T.
  • It may be worth claiming scholarship income to get the education credit, if you qualify.
  • The 1098-T is an informational form so what you can access through the school portal is fine.

Complete information is in Pub 970.  For variations and references, please look at another of my answers for help. 

Tip: do control F in pub 970 and search alien

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies