anthonystaxs1

Do I get back the federal withholding taxes that were taken out of my unemployment money ?

Maybe.   That will depend on your overall tax situation, just like always.   If you had more tax withheld than your tax liability, you get a refund.

Only if you don't have any income tax on your total income.  The only way to know is to fill out your tax return to see if you get a refund.  That's what it's for.  

fanfare

UI payments are taxable and tax is withheld to make sure you pay.

Some states also tax that.

anthonystaxs1

I thought that by going to turbo tax they would have known whether or not I would get the federal withholding tax back from my unemployment but they didn't even ask for my 1099 even after I stated unemyment was my only source of income in 2020

Well don't file without it.  Did you get the 1099G yet?  Some states don't send it and you have to get it from their website.

You can  type  "unemployment compensation"  into the search box at the top of your return and hit find.  It should give you a Jump To link to take you right to it.

Or Enter a 1099G for unemployment under

Federal on left

Wages & Income at top

Unemployment - Click the Start or Update Button