turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I get back the federal withholding taxes that were taken out of my unemployment money ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I get back the federal withholding taxes that were taken out of my unemployment money ?

Maybe.   That will depend on your overall tax situation, just like always.   If you had more tax withheld than your tax liability, you get a refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Only if you don't have any income tax on your total income.  The only way to know is to fill out your tax return to see if you get a refund.  That's what it's for.  

UI payments are taxable and tax is withheld to make sure you pay.

Some states also tax that.

Maybe.   That will depend on your overall tax situation, just like always.   If you had more tax withheld than your tax liability, you get a refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I thought that by going to turbo tax they would have known whether or not I would get the federal withholding tax back from my unemployment but they didn't even ask for my 1099 even after I stated unemyment was my only source of income in 2020

Well don't file without it.  Did you get the 1099G yet?  Some states don't send it and you have to get it from their website.

You can  type  "unemployment compensation"  into the search box at the top of your return and hit find.  It should give you a Jump To link to take you right to it.

Or Enter a 1099G for unemployment under

Federal on left

Wages & Income at top

Unemployment - Click the Start or Update Button

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies