Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I file a return for an investment account's earnings in the year after Mom's death(before a probate acct created)? TTax will not let me with death date prior to 2017?

The account is currently an Estate Account, created 9/2017, in probate. I have a 1099 from that account, and am waiting for one (requested) from her personal account from 1/2017 until 9/2017. This is the only asset remaining - do I need to file a personal return for the earnings in this period, or include it in the Estate tax filing, or do nothing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I file a return for an investment account's earnings in the year after Mom's death(before a probate acct created)? TTax will not let me with death date prior to 2017?

You will file a personal return for your mother's income from 1/1/2017 until the date of her death.  Any income earned after the date of her death is reported on the estate's tax return.

My condolences on the loss of your Mom.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You will file a personal return for your mother's income from 1/1/2017 until the date of her death.  Any income earned after the date of her death is reported on the estate's tax return.

My condolences on the loss of your Mom.

This answers the question. Just to clarify, she passed in November, 2016. Your answer still applies. Thank you.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies