austin-jacobus

Do I deduct the $10,200 unemployment credit myself?

rjs

No. Enter the full amount of unemployment that you received. TurboTax will automatically give you the $10,200 exclusion.

Absolutely not.   You enter your 1099G exactly as it is and let the software calculate how much of your unemployment is taxable.  The program will do all of the calculations

Unemployment compensation is taxable on your federal return. 

You will have to enter a 1099G that is issued by your state.

Some states will mail out the 1099G.  Or you might need to go to your state’s unemployment website and use the password, etc. that you have been using to certify for weekly benefits to get your 1099G from the state’s site.

Enter your 1099G in Federal>Wages & Income>Unemployment

Go through the screens very carefully, making sure  to enter any federal/state tax you had withheld from the unemployment.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/where-do-i-report-a-1099-g-for-unemploymen...

Mike9241

it's not a credit. a credit would result in a reduction in your taxes by $10,200. it's really the maximum amount of UC that can be treated as nontaxable for any one person.  - schedule 1 line 8 with the letters UCE.