turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CapePete

Should Self-Employed software be importing last years information where I used TurboTax Premier on same laptop?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KaseyG

Should Self-Employed software be importing last years information where I used TurboTax Premier on same laptop?

To upload your tax forms and documents from Desktop (last year) to Online (this year), here are the steps to take so you can start off on the best step:

You can transfer last year's tax data file (*.tax2015) if you're preparing your 2016 return in TurboTax Online Deluxe, Premier, or Self-Employed.

• You won't be able to transfer a PDF, it must be a *.tax file.
Note: If you already started your 2016 return in TurboTax Online, transferring will clear any info you have already entered.  Please keep in mind, a .tax file from a previous year will not transfer if the file is password protected.

Here's how to transfer:

You must be using TurboTax Online on your computer to do this transfer (it won’t work from a mobile device/mobile web, or in the mobile app)  
  1. Sign in to TurboTax Online and start a new return, or continue a return you already started.
    (To continue a return, sign in and then click the orange Take me to my return button.)
  2. Make sure you've gone past the blue "simple and accurate" screen before continuing to the next step.
  3. Select the My Account drop-down menu in the upper right, and then select Tools.
  4. In the pop-up window, select Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer.
Follow the on-screen instructions to finish transferring your file.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
KaseyG

Did you use the Premier Online version or the Desktop version last year?
CapePete

Desktop version.  Purchased on-line and downloaded the install app.
CapePete

That worked.
KaseyG

I'm happy that worked! Good luck with your taxes, and fee free to reach out if you need any more help!
KaseyG

To upload your tax forms and documents from Desktop (last year) to Online (this year), here are the steps to take so you can start off on the best step:

You can transfer last year's tax data file (*.tax2015) if you're preparing your 2016 return in TurboTax Online Deluxe, Premier, or Self-Employed.

• You won't be able to transfer a PDF, it must be a *.tax file.
Note: If you already started your 2016 return in TurboTax Online, transferring will clear any info you have already entered.  Please keep in mind, a .tax file from a previous year will not transfer if the file is password protected.

Here's how to transfer:

You must be using TurboTax Online on your computer to do this transfer (it won’t work from a mobile device/mobile web, or in the mobile app)  
  1. Sign in to TurboTax Online and start a new return, or continue a return you already started.
    (To continue a return, sign in and then click the orange Take me to my return button.)
  2. Make sure you've gone past the blue "simple and accurate" screen before continuing to the next step.
  3. Select the My Account drop-down menu in the upper right, and then select Tools.
  4. In the pop-up window, select Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer.
Follow the on-screen instructions to finish transferring your file.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies