Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SMW1
Level 1

Did I use online or desktop turbotax?

How can I find whether I used online or desktop turbotax for 2022?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

If you installed the TurboTax software on your personal computer, completed and filed the tax return, then you used the desktop editions.

If you used the TurboTax online web-based editions, then you needed to enter a User ID and Password each time you accessed your tax return.

See if you have the 2022 program on your computer.  Do you have a .tax2022 file on your computer?  For windows it should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder or search your computer for all files ending in .tax or .tax2022.  

See if you have an Online account.  How to view all your accounts
https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/account-management/many-intuit-accounts-...

It's common to end up with multiple accounts. First LOG OUT of whatever TurboTax account you're logged into right now. Then use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of user ID's for an email address. Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used
https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery/

Do you remember anything about 2022?  If the menu items like Federal, State, Review etc went across the top that was the Desktop program.  If they went down the left side in a black/grey bar that was Online.

SMW1
Level 1

If you work for Turbotax, I'm sorry. I have been using Turbotax since before it was available online and I find online and desktop very confusing and I blame Turbotax for the problem. I appreciate your question: the answer is I installed the desktop version from Costco and also went online. I think it's bait and switch--I bought the desktop version that includes an "online" link that wants me to pay another $129. In 2022 I went back and forth--not by choice but due to my unfamiliarity--and I'm merely trying to figure out which one I finally used so as to make it easier this year. The online and desktop UIs are so similar I can't tell which I'm using at any one time. So  it seems there is no simple way to know. Thinking outloud if possible I'll open both versions and see which one show the return I submitted last year.

SMW1
Level 1

Thanks for your reply. If you work for Turbotax, I'm sorry. I have been using Turbotax since before it was available online and I find online and desktop very confusing and I blame Turbotax for the problem. I appreciate your question: the answer is I installed the desktop version from Costco and also went online. I think it's bait and switch--I bought the desktop version that includes an "online" link that wants me to pay another $129. In 2022 I went back and forth--not by choice but due to my unfamiliarity--and I'm merely trying to figure out which one I finally used so as to make it easier this year. The online and desktop UIs are so similar I can't tell which I'm using at any one time. So  it seems there is no simple way to know. Thinking outloud if possible I'll open both versions and see which one show the return I submitted last year.

@SMW1 We see people get confused and they keep logging in to online software which will require them to pay at the end.    One way to tell if you are using the right software---your tool bar.   Online software has the toolbar in a black vertical column on the left side of the screen.   Desktop software has the tools up on the top of your TT screen.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies