Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Did anyone else receive an email stating CRITICAL STIMULUS UPDATE: Update Your Stimulus Payment Direct Deposit Information? Not sure if this is legit.

It’s asking me to click on the link and update my information by midnight in order to have my stimulus check deposited to the right account.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Did anyone else receive an email stating CRITICAL STIMULUS UPDATE: Update Your Stimulus Payment Direct Deposit Information? Not sure if this is legit.

Yes, it is legitimate.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

13 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Yes, it is legitimate.  

Thank you for confirming that. I really appreciate your help! 

I got the same thing and I updated my banking info.  But I just received a call asking me to update my info through the link.  Did anyone else get a call today?  Or has anyone received their check after doing this?

I updated my bank information through the link in the email and it stated I should receive it in 5 business days. Will be waiting to see when I get it. 

08B29471-E25A-4EB3-A240-DCEAB3FE3A7F.png

@Lorrraines0506 wrote:

I got the same thing and I updated my banking info.  But I just received a call asking me to update my info through the link.  Did anyone else get a call today?  Or has anyone received their check after doing this?

It is always possible that a scammer can take a legitimate issue and copy it for their own bad purposes.  Or possibly the calls were scheduled before you updated the information and the call list wasn't refreshed.   If you update your account through the official, secure link in the FAQ below, you should be done.

Turbotax blog posts

https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-news/why-havent-i-received-my-second-stimulus-check-48743/

https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-news/wheres-my-second-stimulus-check-48658/

SBTPG statement

https://www.sbtpg.com/coronavirus-stimulus-payment-info/

Turbotax FAQ to update bank accounts

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/internal-revenue-service/help/update-your-stimulus-payment-direct-...

I updated it on Tuesday and its showing the account info that I put in. So hopefully I should see a check soon, fingers crossed!

I did receive my stimulus check this morning via direct deposit. Hopefully others will get theirs soon!!!

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

For more information on updating your Stimulus Payment Direct Deposit Information, please see this TurboTax Help article:

Update your stimulus payment direct deposit information

@Loprraines0506 - Thanks for the update!

Updated 1/11. Usually get my deposits a couple days early and haven't seen anything yet.

Hi , I didn’t receive the message to update it but I did receive a message stating critical update that my money should be deposit by the end of January. But I went to the turbo tax site to update my information, so will it go to my new card that I put on turbo tax update?

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax is working diligently with the IRS to ensure that those who were affected by the IRS' processing error receive their stimulus payment quickly. However, in a worst-case scenario where the IRS is unable to process the stimulus by direct deposit or send it to you by mail, you will be able to claim the stimulus as an extra refund on your 2020 tax return.

noel g
Returning Member

Why is the stimulus payment on my 2020 tax return based on my 2020 income? Shouldn't it be based on 2019 income that those two stimulus payments were made?

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

No. The Recovery Rebate Credit is calculated based on your 2020 income because the stimulus payments were based on 2019 income (or the last return filed). Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, a lot of taxpayers lost income in the year of 2020 and did not qualify based on their 2019 (or earlier) financial situation. Basing the Recovery Rebate Credit on 2020 income ensures that if their financial situation changed and they are now deemed eligible, they would get assistance.  

@noel g

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies