turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Desktop PC software. A problem with form 2210. TT erroneously checks box A in form 2210 Part II (Reasons for Filing 2210) requesting an 85% waiver.

2/17/19 It is not fixed.  I tried to refile after trying to get TT to fix issue. Fed and CA returns were rejected second time!
sunami16

Desktop PC software. A problem with form 2210. TT erroneously checks box A in form 2210 Part II (Reasons for Filing 2210) requesting an 85% waiver.

When I went back into the step-to-step, TurboTax said I was required to file the 2210 even though I didn't have a penalty. Just wondering if that's a glitch as well or if they're basing this on the estimated tax payments calculated from the previous tax year and I had paid less than the estimate due to less income. Isn't that why they're called "estimated" payments. When you're self-employed you can't predict your income from year to year.
peter5
Returning Member

It probably is not a glitch, depending upon your specific circumstances. See my (peter) updated previous post six above this one regarding some odd wording in the IRS instructions requiring that if one meets the 85% waiver box "A" must be checked and page 1 of form 2210 must be filed.

ALSO, I received an update from TT tech support that has important information. See:

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4612553-electronic-filing-rejection-code-f2210-003">https://ttlc.i...>

It appears TT online users may then have to paper file whereas download users may have an option that still permits efile. (Don't blame me! I'm just repeating what I heard from TT!)

I don't really trust that (yet).....check next Friday.  (there really is no rush for most people) E-Filing the second or 3rd week in March would still likely get processed before anything mailed in now..
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
peter5
Returning Member

I share your view, SteamTrain. I plan to efile in mid-March.
Levi_957

Using up-to-date TT Premier 2018 and get same problem with E-File rejection due to Form 2210, even though I'm getting a refund. Aren't there any super-users who can give a definitive answer to this?
jpebon

Solved....right click box II part A and remove checked box (manual override).  do same to 85% verbiage in this area.  Once done, transit return.  My return was accepted soon thereafter.
sunami16

I did the calculations on the 2210 form at the bottom and says if it's 0 or less, "Stop,don't file form 2210." Mine had an overpayment, not underpayment, so it seems like a contradiction that Turbotax tells me I need to file form 2210 if the form actually says not to file it. I did the right click manual override and it does delete it, but Turbotax gives a warning at the bottom about doing this. Not sure if that's going to be a problem with the IRS or not.
peter5
Returning Member

I don't know your detailed situation, of course, but take note of these words from the IRS instructions for form 2210: "If line 9 of Part I is more than line 6, complete the 85% Exception Worksheet below to see if you meet the conditions to be eligible to claim the waiver. If so, you must check Box A in Part II, write "85% Waiver" next to Box A, and file page 1 of Form 2210 with your return to request the waiver." If it applies to you, that would be one over-riding reason to file page 1 of form 2210.

For more detail see my comment earlier.
jpebon

Good point Peter.  We'll see how it goes.
jpebon

Peter...interestingly, the form seems to have re-checked box A and added 85% waiver text after the manual override but before the tax return transmission.  So, I did a manual override, deleted check in box A and 85% waiver verbiage and hit transmit.  Upon review of the transmitted forms, the check had reappeared as well as the 85% waiver text, and the IRS accepted the form.
sunami16

This is what the IRS website says and seems to explain the reason so many people are having this problem.

Under IRS General Instructions relating to Form 2210:

What's New.

Waiver of underpayment penalty due to tax reform. The December 22, 2017, enactment of Public Law 115-97, commonly referred to as the “Tax Cuts and Jobs Act”, “TCJA,” or “Tax Reform,” included a broad array of tax changes affecting millions of individual taxpayers. On February 28, 2018, the IRS released an updated Withholding Calculator at IRS.gov/W4app and a new version of Form W-4 to help individual taxpayers determine their appropriate amount of 2018 tax withholding. Despite the release of the updated Withholding Calculator and new Form W-4, some individual taxpayers may have been unable to accurately calculate the amount of their required estimated income tax payments for 2018 and would be liable for a penalty. Therefore, the IRS is providing relief to these taxpayers by waiving the estimated tax penalty in certain instances. To qualify for the waiver, the total of your withholding and estimated tax payments made on or before January 15, 2019, must be at least 85% of the tax shown on your 2018 return. See Waiver of Penalty below for more information on how to determine your eligibility for the waiver and how to request it.

It was not fixed with the 02/16 update. I used TurboTax online on 02/18, still the same problem causing a rejection.
pelkman

TT needs to fix this! I am trying to uncheck box A which is incorrectly checked automatically by TT. It will not let me uncheck the box and it will not let me delete the form.  I’m not required to submit this form as I paid over 90% of my taxes. This is a bug that you need to fix! Quit trying to pass the buck!

I can't figure out how to override on the CD version on a Mac. I select the box and then select override but nothing happens. Totally frustrating.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies