turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Desktop PC software. A problem with form 2210. TT erroneously checks box A in form 2210 Part II (Reasons for Filing 2210) requesting an 85% waiver.

@ pelkman Yup, it is not working for the Mac CD/Download version, at least not me. Guess I'll move forward with my original plan
jkendal2

Desktop PC software. A problem with form 2210. TT erroneously checks box A in form 2210 Part II (Reasons for Filing 2210) requesting an 85% waiver.

I gave up and printed and mailed my return earlier in the week, discarding the 2210 form.  Besides the extra hassle, I expect this will delay my relatively large refund by a couple of weeks.  It would seem that an interim fix would be to omit the 2210 form if TT is computing a refund because you can't have underpaid estimated taxes if you have a refund coming.

Try this if the program is still not fixed: Follow the Turbo Tax instruction to fill in the Waiver Explanation - No tax penalty due.  Then  check Box C on Form 2210 for IRS to calculate the amount of penalty if any.  This took care of my E-filing rejection message.
sunami16

Nothing's changed on mine after the update. I'm filing with 2210 explanation. TurboTax keeps telling me in the Other Tax Situations section, "You don't have a penalty but you need to file 2210."

It seems to me that zeroing the 2017 tax, which avoids generating Form 2210, would be acceptable. As others have suggested, in many cases there is no need to file Form 2210; thus, it wouldn't be in your electronic return. If you feel uncomfortable with this solution, you could save a copy of your tax return file with the 2017 tax and Form 2210 and rerun it after TT fixes the problem. Hopefully, that would make Form 2210 go away. That way you have a correct record just in case, although as I understand, Form 2210 wouldn't be generated after the fix. Maybe this would just be a way to satisfy the user that the proper approach has been used. Worst case, I will wait until the problem is fixed. Did I miss anything?
Kayak4

I spent a long time on phone tonite with this same issue--it did produce a 2210 even though estimated payments made correctly. Federal form accepted with waiver box checked and no penalty due. Turbotax 2017 did not produce a 2210 in exactly same circumstances.
mstirman

I tried a suggestion from another comment to add an Explanation Statement with Box B. There was already “85% Waiver” in the popup  statement but I added a little more text. That seemed to work. I’d have to check but I think I completed Form 2210AI for our 2017 return. Thankfully, the rules have changed and the 85% Waiver is an option.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies