turbotax icon
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Good-Golden
Returning Member

depreciation straight line calculates entire year instead of period used

the straight-line depreciation calculates the entire year, instead of the period used: laptop bought 09/12/2019, using 3 years straight line, should be $173

1. Tell Us About This Asset: input Description; date of purchase (9/12/19); 100% business use

2. Describe This Asset: Other

3. Tell Us a Little More: Other Asset Type

4. How Much Did This Asset Cost: 1,556

5. Type Z, Other Asset

6. How Do You Want to Deduct this Item: Spread the deduction over several years

7. Is This Listed Property: Yes (confirming the computer input earlier)

8. Enter Asset Type and Class: Depreciation Type: Non-recovery property; Asset: 3 year

9. Choose a Depreciation Method: Straight Line

10. Enter Recovery Period: 3

11. Depreciation Amount in 2019: $0

---------------------------------------

If I change my response:

8. Enter Asset Type and Class: Depreciation Type: No Entry; Asset: 3 year

9. Choose a Depreciation Method: SKIPPED

10. Enter Recovery Period: SKIPPED

11. Depreciation Amount in 2019: $519

----------------------------------------

I have tried different combinations but the result is either $519 or $0. Is this a bug with how TurboTax calculates depreciation using straight-line. I understand that the default is MACRS.

Please HELP!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Is this for an S-Corp? Or Partnership?

WHen I work it through a 1065 return and properly classify it as computer equipment, I get a first year depreciation of $311. What worksheet are you using to figure $173 and where can I find it on the Internet?

GabiU
Level 15

I would like to take a deeper look at this, however, I need a diagnostic file-- a copy of your tax return that has all of your personal information removed. You can send one to us by following the directions below for TurboTax Desktop:
1. Click into your return.
2. Click Online and select "Send Tax File to Agent". (When using a Mac, the option is under the Help menu.)
3. This will generate a message that a diagnostic copy will be created. Click on OK, the tax file gets sanitized and transmitted to us.

Please provide the Token Number that was generated onto a response to this thread. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Good-Golden
Returning Member

This is a C-Corp.  I simply used Turbotax Business (downloaded version, 2019) and performed the steps I outlined.   $1556 using 3 year straight-line works out to be $43 per month.  Sep-Oct-Nov-Dec 2019 is $172.92.  $311 is the straight-line 5-year depreciation for entire year.  Why is Turbotax not calculating for the months used?

@Good-Golden wrote:

This is a C-Corp.  I simply used Turbotax Business (downloaded version, 2019) and performed the steps I outlined.   $1556 using 3 year straight-line works out to be $43 per month.  Sep-Oct-Nov-Dec 2019 is $172.92.  $311 is the straight-line 5-year depreciation for entire year.  Why is Turbotax not calculating for the months used?

A computer uses 5 years, not 3 years.  You need to use 5 years.

The depreciation is not monthly.  You most likely are required to use the 1/2-year convention, which means the first year gets 1/2 a year of depreciation (if you placed more assets in service Oct-Dec, that MIGHT change things).

So a $1556 computer depreciated over 5 years should give you about $156 the first year.

Good-Golden
Returning Member

AmeliesUncle, the company has been using 3 year-straight-line depreciation for all computers.  If we want to use 3 years, how do we do that?  I have done the steps to enter the depreciation type and recovery period manually -- it does not calculate correctly.  I have read about overriding and using the FORMS.  What is your advise?

@Good-Golden wrote:

AmeliesUncle, the company has been using 3 year-straight-line depreciation for all computers.  If we want to use 3 years, how do we do that?  I have done the steps to enter the depreciation type and recovery period manually -- it does not calculate correctly.  I have read about overriding and using the FORMS.  What is your advise?

You are not allowed to use 3 years for computers.  It is not an option to use 3 years, and you MUST use 5 years.

Don't override.  Once you change it to 5 years, you SHOULD be able to enter the information correctly to get the proper amount.  For "Depreciation Type" you need to enter "MACRS".  It should give you $156 for depreciation.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question

Related Content

Manage cookies