turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have been employed in 2 different states. My total wages equal my MS wages and there is no reporting for TN (also my home state). What can be done?

I believe my W2 may be slightly off.

I have worked for my employer this whole year, but I have been employeed in 2 different states. I live in Tennessee and worked in Tennessee all year until Nov 1st. November 1st, I switched over full time to Mississippi.

Looking at my W2, it's saying I earned X ammount for Mississippi this year, but that amount is equal to my total wages.

I think where the mess up was that in 2016, when I was initially hired by my company, my place of residence was still in MS and I was working in TN. Come January of 2017, I moved to TN as well. I believe they have been deducting state income tax for MS the whole of 2017, when it really should have been Nov '17 to end of year.

Is there anything that my employer can can do to fix this? Will I be able to get the correct refund from MS for the income tax withdrawn all year?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

I have been employed in 2 different states. My total wages equal my MS wages and there is no reporting for TN (also my home state). What can be done?

Depending on when you actually moved to TN, you will file either a part-year or Nonresident return for MS, and will receive back any withholdings that were withheld in excess for that state.  Just enter all your state information correctly in the Personal Information section of your federal program, as to living and earning income in another state.

Your employer cannot do anything to fix 2017, just make sure you give them the correct state information for 2018.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Anita01

Depending on when you actually moved to TN, you will file either a part-year or Nonresident return for MS, and will receive back any withholdings that were withheld in excess for that state.  Just enter all your state information correctly in the Personal Information section of your federal program, as to living and earning income in another state.

Your employer cannot do anything to fix 2017, just make sure you give them the correct state information for 2018.

trottcd

Thanks. I moved Jan 7th. Are part year and non-resident the same?
Anita01

Well, a part-year resident only owes tax in MS on income earned by a resident. Nonres is the same, not owing income on money earned in MS while not a resident. So it looks like you would only owe on income earned during that first week.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies