Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dependent information worksheet

I'm getting an error message due to a statement that says "Dependent Information Worksheet: Dependent's SSN should not be the same as the Social Security Number of the qualifying child of Head of Household.  You should only make an entry for a person qualifying you as Head of Household when they are not your dependent.  You will need to delete the duplicate information for either the dependent or the person qualifying you as Head of Household who is not your dependent.

I'm confused.  I have two children referenced with two different SSN's.  One I'm claiming and the other my ex is.  So what's the issue as the SSN's are not duplicates after multiple checks?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax, follow the interview questions. 

Enter your personal information, and then that of your Dependents.

Be sure you answer the question about giving the exemption to the other parent correctly and FOR ONLY THE ONE CHILD

Once you finish the "My Info" interview, the program will suggest a filing status, and the one it suggests should be Head Of Household

You should not need to enter the Social Security Number for your child a second time. 

It sounds like perhaps you jumped ahead to or missed a section. Please review the "My Info" section. 

Also try changing your filing status to Single and then back to Head of household to see if that clears it. 

As a last resort, clear and start over if you are not too far into it. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax, follow the interview questions. 

Enter your personal information, and then that of your Dependents.

Be sure you answer the question about giving the exemption to the other parent correctly and FOR ONLY THE ONE CHILD

Once you finish the "My Info" interview, the program will suggest a filing status, and the one it suggests should be Head Of Household

You should not need to enter the Social Security Number for your child a second time. 

It sounds like perhaps you jumped ahead to or missed a section. Please review the "My Info" section. 

Also try changing your filing status to Single and then back to Head of household to see if that clears it. 

As a last resort, clear and start over if you are not too far into it. 

lsabin
Returning Member

I had the EXACT same issue as described above. I followed the advice given, and it worked! Thank you!

-Lisa

sinkortax

I have one legal dependent child and it appears okay in Federal return on for 1040, but in California information worksheet shows duplicate entries, and I don't know how to delete one.

You will not be able to delete your dependent from the CA return. 

Use a browser and clear browsing data before signing on to TurboTax.

You will need to delete the dependent informationr and then add it back again

Delete the dependent:

• My Info
  • Click the wastebasket next to the name and confirm delete
  • Make sure that there are no other dependent entries
  • Click Add a Dependent and enter the information again

Delete the CA return and then add it back again:

• State
  • Click Delete to the right of the state and confirm the delete
  • Add Another State
  • Select California and then go through all of the state screens
  • Review federal and state.

juniorrr

I’m getting a fix issue of “the social security number dependent is a duplicate” in the personal section it’s correct but the California worksheet the dependent appears to be twice which is a duplicate, please help me thanks

Clear cache and cookies. Sign out of the program and sign back in again. then the the encircle ! for any errors messages that appear on the bottom of the form that should be corrected. Many times, correcting errors can eradicate other issues not relating to that particular error. If that doesn't work, then go through the steps as @MaryM428 outloned earlier. Finally, if the duplicate entries appear only on the worksheet and not on the actual form 540 itself, then simply delete the worksheet, as it

is only for informational purposes only. If you will see on top, it should say "Keep for your records." To delete the form, there should be a box on the bottom of the forms that give you that option.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies