turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

girfy3

Delete This Post Please, Since it's Moot ----- Why can't I file without adding the optional filings I didn't want to add, but y'all are forcing me to, causing me to go from owing $15, to paying you $60 to get back $14

I've used TurboTax every year for a while, and last year and this year both have turned into some major ***** to get anything done. I'd like to figure out why I'm needing to go through all this hassle and am unable to talk to tech support to figure out why the optionals keep getting added, but apparently I can't talk to tech support without paying $35, which puts me in the same boat.

I'm seriously considering dropping y'all after last year and this debacle and moving forward with a different company. I sincerely regret ever recommending anybody to this service based on this experience alone.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Delete This Post Please, Since it's Moot ----- Why can't I file without adding the optional filings I didn't want to add, but y'all are forcing me to, causing me to go from owing $15, to paying you $60 to get back $14

There are 2 free versions. In the regular Turbo Tax Free Edition, information that you can enter is limited now.  Why do I have to upgrade from the Free Edition?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/upgrading/help/why-do-i-have-to-upgrade-from-free-edition/00/26379

To go back to a lower version or the Free Edition you can try to clear and start over https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

OR There is also The Turbo Tax Free File program which is free for federal and state.  And has more forms than the Federal Free Edition, like Schedules A, B, C , D, E, F, EIC, H, K-1, SE,  etc.

To qualify for the Free File website  you just need to meet one of these 3 things
AGI $36,000 or less
Active duty military with AGI of $69,000 or less
OR qualify for EIC (earned income credit.)

In order to use the Free File program, you have to start it at a special website. Try signing in at the top right
https://freefile.intuit.com/

girfy3

After 3 hours of struggling, I posted this.  After another 30 minutes, I figured it out.  I'd restarted taxes 4 times, I'd tried the other free site, I'd tried a lot of different things.

I'm kind of past done with TurboTax, and how it's worsened my experience every year over the past few years, and now you can't even get tech support without dropping almost $40.  At this point, I'd rather use a pumpkin as a suppository.

Thanks for your post, however.  Considering everything, that was the best part of this experience.

Now, if only there was an obvious way to delete the post so I don't have to get notifications, despite having them turned off..........

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies