Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

delete or purge old intuit accounts

I seem to have 4 intuit accounts.  It is troubling that we are not allowed to delete old accounts.  We are told that the data is purged HOWEVER in this day and age of hacking and identity theft it is imperative that Intuit either allow us to delete old accounts OR that they have a simple option for us to request that they delete the old account.  Would someone who actually works for Intuit please reply to this and let me know how I can definitevly DELETE 3 of the 4 accounts?  Thank you

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

There is no procedure to delete, close or merge an account since accounts may contain past tax information that needs to be preserved. You can just let it go dormant.  To secure your account, log in to your Turbotax account by typing the address into your browser window, and make sure your browser shows a padlock icon or whatever symbol it uses to indicate a secure verified connection.  Change your password, and make sure it is not something you use on other web sites.  Change your security question to something that a crook could not guess from social media.  Make sure your email address and cell phone number are up to date as Turbotax may use that to help verify future attempts to log in.

You also have the option to turn on 2-factor authentication for all log-ins.  With 2-factor authentication, Turbotax will send a code to your email or cell phone when you try to log in. The idea is that only someone who knows your password and also has possession of your phone will be able to log in, this is more likely to be the real you.  Turbotax will use 2-factor authentication whenever you log in from a computer that turbotax does not recognize, but you can turn it on for all log-ins in your security settings.

After 7 years the returns/accounts are purged.

There is a new service being offered…it  is the ability to deactivate the account ....  Contact support for a case number if you really want to put forth the effort to use that feature ....

Use the following TurboTax website to contact TurboTax customer service/support.  

Submit your question/problem during business hours and then use the option for Call.  
There will be some personal information gathered so a case can be created for you.  A phone number will then be provided, specific to your case, to speak directly with a TurboTax agent.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Note:  The Call option will not be available when TurboTax Support is closed. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2930711-account-deactivation-verify-your-identity

View solution in original post

4 Replies

There is no procedure to delete, close or merge an account since accounts may contain past tax information that needs to be preserved. You can just let it go dormant.  To secure your account, log in to your Turbotax account by typing the address into your browser window, and make sure your browser shows a padlock icon or whatever symbol it uses to indicate a secure verified connection.  Change your password, and make sure it is not something you use on other web sites.  Change your security question to something that a crook could not guess from social media.  Make sure your email address and cell phone number are up to date as Turbotax may use that to help verify future attempts to log in.

You also have the option to turn on 2-factor authentication for all log-ins.  With 2-factor authentication, Turbotax will send a code to your email or cell phone when you try to log in. The idea is that only someone who knows your password and also has possession of your phone will be able to log in, this is more likely to be the real you.  Turbotax will use 2-factor authentication whenever you log in from a computer that turbotax does not recognize, but you can turn it on for all log-ins in your security settings.

After 7 years the returns/accounts are purged.

There is a new service being offered…it  is the ability to deactivate the account ....  Contact support for a case number if you really want to put forth the effort to use that feature ....

Use the following TurboTax website to contact TurboTax customer service/support.  

Submit your question/problem during business hours and then use the option for Call.  
There will be some personal information gathered so a case can be created for you.  A phone number will then be provided, specific to your case, to speak directly with a TurboTax agent.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Note:  The Call option will not be available when TurboTax Support is closed. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2930711-account-deactivation-verify-your-identity

Thank you for your reply and your helpful information.  It is frustrating to say the least that an owner of an account cannot simply delete it.  I should be the one to determine whether or not I want or need old tax data and I certainly don't need my personal information out there in so many old accounts.  Intuit should come up with a better solution for its users.  Their service to deactivate most likely still leaves all my data, and everyone's for that matter, at risk.  I do use two factor authentication when I find it as an option.  In some of these cases, the account is so old that I cannot even seem to log into it to see what is even in there.  Thanks for your time.

If you haven't filed you can just leave and abandon it.  You can try to clear it.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

You can not delete or merge accounts.

You can try to clear all of the information in your TurboTax account for this year but you will need to Contact Customer Support  to have an account deactivated for more of a resolution.

Intuit - How to delete my account

How do I delete my account? | IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax

@movinit56 

This is not an Intuit  rule they have control over  ... the IRS sets up the perameters/rules that they must follow.  If you wish to have the account deactivated then follow the instructions given in the prior answer (if you want to jump thru all those hoops). 

If you want all the control then don't use any of the ONLINE programs where the IRS regulations must be followed.  You can use the DOWNLOADED/CD version instead. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies