turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eepjr1

Are the payments to Medicare pre-tax or post tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Deducted from your paycheck or premiums you pay out of your Social Security check or pay on your own?  Premiums you pay (including from your SS) can be an Itemized Deduction on Schedule A.
eepjr1

I don't understand the comment. If the payment for Medicare was pre-tax then it would reduce the taxable income. If not pre-tax it would not.

Sorry.  Didn’t understand your question.  It is post tax (after tax) out of your paycheck.  So not pre-tax.

@eepjr1

Whether you have your Medicare B premiums, and possibly your Medicare D or C premiums, paid from your Social Security income, or instead you write a check or have the premium automatically debited from your bank account, or have the premiums paid through charges on your credit card, the payments, in any of these modes, can be considered, I suppose if you need a lable, post-tax.   So all of the premiums are deductible on Schedule A to the extent that the total exceeds 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income.  

The point you may be misconstruing is that if you had or have a Medical Savings Account (MSA) as an example, medical expenses if paid out of those designated and separately set-aside funds are monies that are not subject to income tax to the extent that you expend them for the designated purpose.  For more information on the two types of medical expense savings accounts, see here ==>>

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2895072-can-i-deduct-medical-costs-paid-through-my-hsa-or-msa

If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies