Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deadline

I still haven't filed my 2021 tax return & I was just wondering if there is a deadline for getting my third stimulus check (from March 2021) or a deadline for submitting for my 2021 child tax credit.. or could I just wait & submit my 2021 return (with all this included) next year when I efile my 2022 tax return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
HiCPA
Expert Alumni

Deadline

Hi @Aaltman,

If you started your tax return in TurboTax you have until 9PM PT October 31 to file your return online, but it may be subject to late filing fees.

You can refer to this article here for more information: https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/missed-october-17-deadline/L2...

If you did not start your tax return, you will need to download the TurboTax software to paper file your return.  The article above has more information on that.

If you are due a refund, the IRS gives taxpayers up to three years from the due date of the return to file and receive a refund, but it's recommended you file as soon as  you can.

You will not be able to wait and submit your 2021 return when you e-file your 2022 tax returns because tax returns are filed for each tax year and cannot be combined.

Good Luck!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
SoCalGal22
Employee Tax Expert

Deadline

Great Question @Aaltman!

There is no definitive answer on this year.  But we can look at the 1st and 2nd stimulus checks to get our best clue.  The option to request these on a tax return were only offered on the 2020 tax return.  The option to request the 3rd stimulus on a tax return is offered on the 2021 tax return.  The sure answer is to file your 2021 return to get the 3rd stimulus as a refund on the tax return.

We can't say for sure that it won't be offered on the 2022 return yet, since that has not been released. 

Do these help in any way?  Please let me know if you are looking for more detail on any one of these.

Deadline

@HiCPA, thanks for replying. I have started my 2021 return on turbo tax & I'm due to get a refund. I know the e-filing closes soon but im sorting thru some tax issues with my son's dad at the moment, so is it possible to wait until it reopens next year to finish e-filing my 2021 tax return? I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't miss out on getting my 3rd stimulus check along with the child tax credit if I wait until next year to submit it.

Deadline

If you wait you will need to print and mail 2021 return.  Yes you can claim the 3rd Stimulus payment as the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2021 return and the Child Tax Credit.  

But you may not be able to finish online or get a printout to mail in after online closes.  

How to mail a return from the Online version

How do I print and mail my return in TurboTax Online?

Be sure to attach copies of your W2s and any 1099s that have withholding on them.  You have to mail federal and state in separate envelopes because they go to different places.  Get a tracking number from the post office when you mail them for proof of filing.

SoCalGal22
Employee Tax Expert

Deadline

@Aaltman 

If you don't owe the IRS, you have 3 years to file and still get a refund.  If you filed an extension you have until 10/15/205.  If you didn't file an extension the deadline is 4/15/2025.  However you will need to pay and download TurboTax Desktop onto a computer and paper file the return.  

The deadline to electronically file your return is 10/31/22 9pm PT.   

Do these help in any way?  Please let me know if you are looking for more detail on any one of these.

SuziM

Deadline

Thanks for your participation in our Ask the Expert event regarding "How does the Child Tax Credit and Dependent Care Credit impact this year's tax return for you?"! We’d love to get your input on the event and your TurboTax experience: Click here to leave a video testimonial.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies