Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Crypto currency capital gains: do you really need to report each trade? And if so, how?

I am using TurboTax Premier for Windows desktop, updated to the lastest version.

I bought Bitcoin (BTC) twice: 0.5 BTC on 2018-07-27 and 0.5 BTC on 2018-08-28.

(I also bought 0.5 BTC on 2018-09-07 and 1.0 BTC on 2019-02-21, but I do not want to use those trade lots because they have a lower cost basis and so would cause higher capital gains.)

I sold Bitcoin once, 1.0 BTC on 2019-06-17, for a profit.

So, I have short term capital gains from a net 1 BTC to report.  I understand from various answers on this website that in TurboTax this is done in the Federal | Wages and Income | Investment Income section.

I just finished the interview for Investment Income, and what I encountered does not match the description in some answers on this website.

For example, this link claims that "Scroll down and select Show more next to Investment Income" and then "Select Start or Revisit next to Cryptocurrency".  Unfortunately, in my version of TurboTax, there is no "Show more next to Investment Income", so I never found that Cryptocurrency choice.  Is this present in other versions of TurboTax, or did they remove it?

Another example is this link and this link.  Both say "You'll list each trade/sale in the Stocks, Mutual funds, Bonds, Other interview".

Unfortunately, in my version of TurboTax, I never encountered a point in my "Investment Income" interview where I was ever asked to list all the individual BTC trades.

Is this present in other versions of TurboTax, or did they remove it?

More importantly, does my not listing all the individual trades really matter?

Is it OK to file my return without listing them, or am I incurring a problem with the IRS?

For completeness, here are all the steps I did in my "Investment Income" interview:

--"Add an Account" (clicked on this button)

--"Did you get a 1099-B or ...?" No

--"Choose the type of investment you sold" Everything else

--(form):
Property Description: Bitcoin
Net Proceeds: [call this 10,000]
Date of Sale: 06/17/2019

--"Tell Us How You Acquired This Property?" Purchase

--(form):
Cost or Other Basis: -7,413.15
Date of Purchase: 7/27/2019

Note that for the Date of Purchase, I put the date of my first purchase. Even tho that one is the oldest, it does not matter which date I used because both of them are < 1 year from the SELL date, so either will cause short term capital gains.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Crypto currency capital gains: do you really need to report each trade? And if so, how?

After posting this question, and waiting for a reply, I changed some of my question search terms (especially trade --> transaction).

That led me to this question that was asked last summer: Bitcoin: Must I record each buy if I ultimately sold all my Bitcoins in a single transaction?

TomYoung gave this answer on ‎June 6, 2019 8:45 AM which addresses the main thing that I was concerned with:

The direct answer to your direct question of "Must I record each buy" is "No". Your direct answer to your direct question "Can I aggregate all purchases into a single one and date it with the last buy's date for long/short gain determination" is "Yes."

Tell TurboTax no 1099-B was received (I assume) and enter the word "various" in the date acquired box. TT will ask "all purchased before 12/31/2016?" and you answer "Yes".

So, I think how I reported my Bitcoin capital gains was almost correct.

I did go back and change the Date of Purchase from 7/27/2019 to "various" and then answered the subsequent question No in order to make this be short term capital gains.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies