Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Correcting eFile error IND-032-04: The spouse's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year doesn't match IRS records.

Error IND-032-04 states The spouse's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year doesn't match IRS records.

If I did not e-file last year, what is the e-file process comparing to? The last time I e-filed? (which I am not sure when that was)? I am assuming that this error is referring to the Prior Year PIN on the Info Wks form.

We have always filed jointly, and the same AGI was used for myself and spouse. I checked both AGIs in our IRS accounts and they were the same. I also tried removing the Prior Year PIN since we didn't efile last year.

Also it didn't complain about my AGI/PIN. Is it because this is just the first error encountered?

There needs to be an eFile topic.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Correcting eFile error IND-032-04: The spouse's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year doesn't match IRS records.

Whoa,

The 5th try using zero for the AGIs and PINs from my 2018 return was rejected by the IRS in 10 minutes. I tried a 6th time after removing both of the prior year PINs and again using $0 for both AGIs.

This time it was successful!

My only worry is that although there is a bunch of Intuit mumbo-jumbo about the electronic postmark being before midnight April 15th, but you can keep trying until April 20th. I don't see any postmark that shows the first attempt in the afternoon of the 15th. The Postmark Report shows April 17.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

The IRS uses your prior year AGI to combat fraud.   

You can find your 2022 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) by: 

• Looking at line11 on page 1 of your 2022 Form 1040; or 
  • You can request a transcript of your 2022 tax return from the IRS to ensure you have the right number. You can request your transcript online at the following link: Get Transcript  

Check these items as well to ensure you have the correct number.  If you: 

• Filed late last year after mid-November or your return was processed after that time—try entering 0
  • Amended your return last year—make sure you’re using the AGI from your original return, not the amended one. (If you only have a 1040X form, it’s on line 1, column A). 
  • Rounded your AGI to the nearest dollar—be sure to round up when it’s 50 cents or more and down when it’s 49 cents or less. 
  • Filed with your spouse last year—you and your spouse have the same 2022 AGI. (Don’t split the AGI amount or enter  0  for one of you). 

Time-saving Tip: If what you entered is correct and you continue to get a reject, you won't be able to e-file. There's probably a data mismatch at the government, or some other situation beyond your control that prevents your return from being e-filed. In this case, your only option would be to print and mail in your return. 

This article will give you instruction on how to print and mail your return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If it was rejected for AGI—-your 2022 AGI might not be in the IRS system if you filed late.   Try using zero instead.

If filing with zero is rejected then file again but select the option that you did not file last year.  The IRS does not see that question and it will allow you to e-file with no AGI question.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

If that does not work and you still cannot e-file, then print, sign, and mail your tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I checked on the IRS website for both of us and my 2022 AGI is listed there and it is the same as the AGI that I am using. The error code mentions the PIN; might that be the problem?

I tried e-filing second time with prior year PIN removed and was still rejected.

I tried e-filing again for 3rd time with older PINs from a year that might have been the previous time that I e-filed.

This would be easier to solve if Intuit better explained what was going on with eFile. The error code description is misleading. If I didn't eFile last year, then neither Intuit or IRS has the PIN I entered. The only PIN either could have would have been from the last time I e-filed. That is hard to tell.

Note I stated in the original problem statement that I have checked on the IRS website and the IRS has processed my 2022 return and my 2022 AGI is shown on the website. It is the same AGI that I am using to eFile.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Were you able to get your return filed or are you still having issues? I can't tell from  your post.

No I have not been successful yet @CatinaT1 . It seems to me that e-File is not a thoroughly tested process. It appears to me that the developers have not considered a gap in eFiling. My third try, which was to use the PINs from a year that might have been the previous time that I e-filed, was also rejected. This morning, I was able to determine that I last eFiled in 2019, which would be for TY 2018.

The error message that was emailed to me is: IND-032-04 - 'SpousePriorYearPIN' or 'SpousePriorYearAGIAmt' in the Return Header must match the e-File database. When I click on the Learn More link, it first says the error is AGI only, but reading further it says: IND-032-04: The spouse's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year doesn't match IRS records. The first version tells me that the e-File system is using its own database, not the master IRS tax database, which would only have 2018 as the last entry.

Next, I will try (4th attempt) using the AGI and PINs from my 2018 return, the last successful e-File.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Do you have the option to say I didn't file last year? It would want information from last year only.

IRS Individual Online Account  

• Taxpayers with a Social Security number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number can create or access their IRS Individual Online Account to get information they need to file their return.
  • With an IRS Individual Online Account, people can:
  • View balance owed, payment history and schedule payments.
  • Cancel scheduled payments – new feature for 2024.
  • Get transcripts.
  • View or create payment plans.
  • See digital copies of some IRS notices.
  • View key data from their most recently filed tax return, including adjusted gross income.
  • Validate bank accounts and save multiple accounts, eliminating the need to re-enter bank account information every time they make a payment.
  • View, approve and electronically sign power of attorney and tax information authorizations from their tax professional. 

No you only use the 2022 AGI or Pin.  How did you file 2022?  Did you mail it?  If the IRS can't match your AGI try using 0 zero for the AGI for both of you.  They took a long time to process mailed returns and your AGI might not be in the right IRS database to verify you.  

Hello, thanks for all the suggestions. I am not sure why everyone focuses on just the AGI when the error code also states the PINs might not be matching. I'll mention these again:

• The last time I eFiled was 2018.
  • I am using the desktop version of TurboTax and I have not seen an option to state that I have not eFiled before or last year. I have filed using paper since 2019.
  • I checked on the IRS website using both our accounts and our 2022 AGI is listed there.

I have tried 4 times. Here is what I have tried.

• 2022 AGI and 2022 PIN (I don't know how IRS or Intuit would have the PIN for 2022 since I haven't eFiled since 2018)
  • 2022 AGI and prior year PIN removed (blank).
  • 2022 AGI and PINs from my 2018 return, the last successful e-File.
  • AGI and PINs from my 2018 return, the last successful e-File.

Here are some suggestions that I haven't yet tried:

• Use zero for AGI.
  • Select the option that you did not file last year - if I can find that.

I just refiled using zero for the AGIs and PINs from my 2018 return. Let's see what happens.

Whoa,

The 5th try using zero for the AGIs and PINs from my 2018 return was rejected by the IRS in 10 minutes. I tried a 6th time after removing both of the prior year PINs and again using $0 for both AGIs.

This time it was successful!

My only worry is that although there is a bunch of Intuit mumbo-jumbo about the electronic postmark being before midnight April 15th, but you can keep trying until April 20th. I don't see any postmark that shows the first attempt in the afternoon of the 15th. The Postmark Report shows April 17.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies