Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Clergy Housing Allowance and unrelated business Office Deduction

I am full-time clergy and have a housing allowance.  I also have an unrelated home business where I store inventory and meet with clients for sales.  A couple questions...

1) Am I required to take a home office deduction on the unrelated business?

2) If I do take the deduction (required or not), do I need to prevent "double-dipping" with my housing allowance and the home office deduction (I am assuming I can't)?  My thoughts on a couple ways to do it...

A) Reduce my claimed qualifying expenses based on the percentage of the square footage used.  For example, let's say my qualifying expenses are $10,000, the home is 2,000 sf. ft., and the home office is 100 sq. ft.  100 sq. ft. is 5% of the 2000 sq. ft.  So, I'd only claim $9,500 as my qualifying expenses (5% of 10,000 = 500.  10,000 - 500 = 9500). 

B) The other thought is to reduce the claimed square footage of the home.  Using the above example, I'd just take the housing allowance based on a 1900 square foot home, and the office deduction based on a 2000 sq ft home.  I don't know if this would cause a sort of internal error with the square footages not matching though.  This method would potentially reduce the maximum amount I could claim because it would lower the fair market rental value.  Either way, my desire is to do it properly.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Opus 17
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

1. No, you are not required to take the deduction.  In general, you should normally take all allowable expense deductions, for several reasons.  However, the requirements of the home office deduction are fairly strict.  It would not be a problem to simply say that you haven't kept enough adequate records to prove you meet the "exclusivity" test, for example, so you wouldn't qualify.  

2. You would reduce your qualified expenses.  This may or may not make the clergy housing allowance taxable.

More specifically, you can exclude a housing allowance from taxable income (assuming it is designated in advance and in writing by the church), up to the amount of your actual qualified housing expenses.  Suppose your qualified expenses (fair rental value of the home, plus utilities, insurance, and other items) is $25,000, and suppose you claim $3000 as a home office expense.  That reduces your qualified expenses for the housing allowance to $22,000 (because that $3000 is an "office" expense for your side business, and is no longer an expense for your "home").   Then, if your housing allowance is, for example, $20,000, no further adjustment is needed and the housing allowance is excludable because it is less than your qualified expenses.  If your housing allowance was $2000 per month or $24,000, for example, then $2000 is taxable income because it is more than your qualified expenses.

In Turbotax, you would need to figure your home office deduction first, either using the safe harbor ($5 per square foot) or the actual expense method.   Then, enter your W-2 later, after you know your office deduction.  When you check the box for religious wages, you will be prompted to enter the amount of your housing allowance and the amount of your qualified expenses.  Your qualified expenses are your actual qualified expenses reduced by the home office deduction.  If your housing allowance is more than your qualified expenses, the difference will be added back to your taxable income.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

I edited my initial post. 

You can try contacting Support.

How do I contact TurboTax? (intuit.com)

Opus 17
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

1. No, you are not required to take the deduction.  In general, you should normally take all allowable expense deductions, for several reasons.  However, the requirements of the home office deduction are fairly strict.  It would not be a problem to simply say that you haven't kept enough adequate records to prove you meet the "exclusivity" test, for example, so you wouldn't qualify.  

2. You would reduce your qualified expenses.  This may or may not make the clergy housing allowance taxable.

More specifically, you can exclude a housing allowance from taxable income (assuming it is designated in advance and in writing by the church), up to the amount of your actual qualified housing expenses.  Suppose your qualified expenses (fair rental value of the home, plus utilities, insurance, and other items) is $25,000, and suppose you claim $3000 as a home office expense.  That reduces your qualified expenses for the housing allowance to $22,000 (because that $3000 is an "office" expense for your side business, and is no longer an expense for your "home").   Then, if your housing allowance is, for example, $20,000, no further adjustment is needed and the housing allowance is excludable because it is less than your qualified expenses.  If your housing allowance was $2000 per month or $24,000, for example, then $2000 is taxable income because it is more than your qualified expenses.

In Turbotax, you would need to figure your home office deduction first, either using the safe harbor ($5 per square foot) or the actual expense method.   Then, enter your W-2 later, after you know your office deduction.  When you check the box for religious wages, you will be prompted to enter the amount of your housing allowance and the amount of your qualified expenses.  Your qualified expenses are your actual qualified expenses reduced by the home office deduction.  If your housing allowance is more than your qualified expenses, the difference will be added back to your taxable income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies