turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Cannot install Turbo Tax 2020.

Nope. Trying her refund from Amazon and not sure what program I’m now going to have to use. This is unbelievably sad and maddening. 

Thank you for all the responses. Points taken about the uniqueness of each computer. However, I have been using TT for at least 10 years with no problem with installation. Its April 15 today*, and TT2020 is still un-installable (Problem with "Failed to extract archive"). Have bought new downloadable software, but I am still not sure if it will work. Just wondering if anyone knows whether I should remove the present TT2020 .exe, the related License and Orders WinRar Zip archives, and other related files before downloading the new software?

*Although I realized that the IRS has extended the deadlines to May 17th

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

You may want to use the Contact Us link below and reach out to TurboTax directly for assistance

TurboTax Customer Service

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bakos

download file is corrupt, will not extract

@bakos wrote:

download file is corrupt, will not extract

Try downloading another instance of the installation file.  If you have another browser, try downloading it with the other browser.   

If you continue to have problems and don't get additional suggestions in this user community forum, here's how to phone TurboTax Support:

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days/week.

You can use this contact form to get a phone number.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

Mike S_78
Returning Member

After my first install from the CD failed on my Windows10 computer, I used REMOVE to start again.  This time the cd loaded all files and updates. The last screen showed Restarting TurboTax 2020 and no action on blank screen.  What's my problem? Thanks for any help.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Please see the link below for additional guidance to help you load your software.

Troubleshooting steps for installing TurboTax for Windows

@Mike S_78

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ Mike S_78 wrote:

After my first install from the CD failed on my Windows10 computer, I used REMOVE to start again.  This time the cd loaded all files and updates. The last screen showed Restarting TurboTax 2020 and no action on blank screen.  What's my problem? Thanks for any help.

Since you said you mentioned "updates," I'll assume you successfully activated your TurboTax installation with your license code.    If you haven't already done so, I'd close TurboTax then restart (reboot) your computer.  Then launch TurboTax again.   It may look again for updates.

On the other hand, if the blank screen was the activation screen where you enter the activation code, then that's a different issue we can tell you about.   But it sounds like you got past that part and downloaded updates, then TurboTax wouldn't automatically restart.   If the blank screen was the activation screen, and it wouldn't allow you to enter the license, or if the activation screen would not connect to the activation server at TurboTax, report back with more info.

when I installed Turbo Tax 2020 Home and Business a notation came up that I need to "remove" my other 2020 Turbo Tax programs.  If I remove will I lose all of my other saved copies?

@shogoP wrote:

when I installed Turbo Tax 2020 Home and Business a notation came up that I need to "remove" my other 2020 Turbo Tax programs.  If I remove will I lose all of my other saved copies?

Your other saved copies of "what?"  

Are you asking if you will lose your tax data files if you uninstall TurboTax?     Uninstalling a program should not affect the tax data files (such as *.tax2020) if you used the default location, since they are stored in the Documents\TurboTax folder by default (in the Windows version).    If you are concerned about your tax data files, make copies of all your *.taxYYYY data files on a flash drive or other external storage until you get this worked out.   It's normally a good idea to be making backup copies of them anyway, and you may also want to back up any PDFs, if applicable.   I make a backup of my 2020 data file onto a thumb drive after every work session--just in case.

Did you already have another 2020 TurboTax personal edition installed on your computer when you tried to install Home and Business?  If so, then you got that error message because you can only have one 2020 personal tax product installed at a time (you can't have 2 different 2020 personal editions installed at the same time.)   However, it is possible to have one 2020 personal product installed and at the same time also the 2020 dedicated Business Edition (corporations, partnerships, multimember LLC, etc.)

It's also possible to have multiple tax years of TurboTax installed at the same time since different product years install to different tax year-specific folders.   I don't uninstall them for at least 3 years in case I ever have to amend a return.  

It's not clear why you are doing what you are doing.  Why did you purchase Home and Business if you already had a 2020 personal tax product installed?    In the desktop software Deluxe Edition and higher can normally handle the same forms and schedules that Home and Business can handle, but Home and Business has more help and guidance for self-employed businesses, home office expenses, etc.     If one starts in a lower edition and wants to upgrade, it's possible to upgrade from a lower edition within the same product without starting over, by using an in-product upgrade and paying the difference, without actually installing a new program.

Even Basic Edition can prepare the same forms as Home and Business, but Basic Edition does not have a state program included and cannot import from ItsDeductible.   Deluxe Edition comes in 2 versions--with state or without state.

I'm trying to install 2020 turbo tax in this new computer but it won't take it! Why?

"it won't take" is very vague ... can you be more specific ?

Here are the recommended installation steps:

You must install using Administrator privilege.
First manually disconnect your computer from the Internet so you can safely temporarily disable your antivirus and firewall software programs.
Close any other open programs.
If installing from a downloaded installation file, then double-click the file to start the install process, and skip the CD steps.
If installing from a CD, insert the CD and the installation should launch.  If it doesn't start installing automatically, then here's how to launch it:

Hold down the Windows+R keys to open the Run window.
      Click Browse, and then navigate to the TurboTax CD on your CD/DVD/RW drive (usually Drive D).
      Double-click the setup.exe file.
      Click OK to launch the installer.

After installing, be sure to re-enable your antivirus and firewall programs before connecting  your computer back up to the Internet.
Reboot (restart) your computer.
Launch TurboTax and run the program updater.

during instal of turbotax2021 when I get to the activation screen, I am unable to type the code in the activation box

Please see the attached link for guidance on how to resolve the blank screen issue.

Troubleshoot blank screens, missing buttons, or missing images

🛑
Create a new admin account - click here for instructions 

The issue should be resolved, but updating drivers is a good idea as well. Free software from a third party to update basic drivers.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies