turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can this file be canceled?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AlanT222
Expert Alumni

No. After you select Transmit Returns Now, your e-file goes to pending status, where it will stay until it's either been accepted or rejected by the government.

Think of pending as "in transit" or "in limbo"—just like you can't cancel a letter that you sent yesterday, you can't cancel a return that's on its way to the government.

To make corrections or changes to your pending return, wait until your return's either been accepted or rejected.

• If your return gets accepted, you'll need to amend.
  • If your return gets rejected, you'll be able to make your changes before you re-submit your return.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

you ( Turbotax ) obviously didn't cancel my order, the one that gave me a button to cancel and start over with a new plan but then you sent the cancelled one to the irs by way of another pretty little button you presented me, Turbotax better not charge me 180 for this obvious blatant neglectful erroneous mistake and i need to get it back from the irs and do it over. yall need to fix your program it sucks because now you have caused m irreparable. harm

Turbo Tax is a DIY program that can do nothing without your doing it yourself  ... so if you filed a return by accident then you have to deal with the results ... 

After you select Transmit Returns Now, your e-file goes to pending status, where it will stay until it's either been accepted or rejected by the government.

Think of pending as "in transit" or "in limbo"—just like you can't cancel a letter that you sent yesterday, you can't cancel a return that's on its way to the government.

To make corrections or changes to your pending return, wait until your return's either been accepted or rejected.

• If your return gets accepted, you'll need to amend.
  • If your return gets rejected, you'll be able to make your changes before you re-submit your return.

Now if you did not send the return and did not get an email saying so then you did not file the return.   If you log in and see the "congrats you filed" message  but the status of the return is not pending then you can either abandon this account  or  scroll down and click on ADD A STATE to open the file and continue the interview.

If you qualify   you can use one of  the 10 IRS FREE FILE options to file a fed & state return for free ... but you must log in thru the IRS site :

https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

For Filing Season 2021, you must make $72,000 or below to use one of the 10  IRS Free File partner offers.

If you choose the TT option then you can log in with your same user ID and agree to switch to the FREE FILE option then your progress will be preserved. If you do not wish to continue using the same account then open a new one.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies