turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

artcguy
Returning Member

Can't Override on Form 4797

I am unable to override one "cell" in Form 4797.   I have overwritten a number of them ... right click ... override ... the cell in question turns blue ... and I overwrite.   On the cell in question, it just flashes blue and then reverts to uneditable.    Any idea what is going on  ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

If you double-click the field, does it take you to a worksheet?  Some numbers flow from an upstream worksheet and have to be edited in the worksheet they come from rather than directly on the form itself. 

artcguy
Returning Member

Thanks for the quick response.  I tried the double-click ... but no luck.   It is strange because I have overridden a number of different cells on this form - 4797 ... and this is the only that "flashes blue" and doesn't let me edit ( even though I have edited a number of cells with similar data .... which is the date the asset was "sold" ).

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

, There are some cells which you cannot enter in directly, nor can you override what is showing.  You will have to change the data source, as indicated by Opus 17 above.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@artcguy wrote:

Thanks for the quick response.  I tried the double-click ... but no luck.   It is strange because I have overridden a number of different cells on this form - 4797 ... and this is the only that "flashes blue" and doesn't let me edit ( even though I have edited a number of cells with similar data .... which is the date the asset was "sold" ).

Are you trying to enter a date that is not during the 2019 tax year?  Make sure you are entering the full date format mm/dd/yyyy.   07/04/2019, not 7/4/19 for example.   Turbotax may sometimes get confused otherwise.  

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

If you are trying to change the date sold on line 10 - Part II Ordinary Gains and Losses, you will have to make the change at the source form such as the Asset Entry Worksheet.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
artcguy
Returning Member

Thanks ... I am actually trying to override the "date sold" field in Part I Line 2 ... but the override function just "flashes blue".   I was able to override the "date sold" field in Part III Line 19 ... so I think that I should be able to override the same field in a different part of the same form.   I appreciate everybody's input ... and just hope y'all might have another suggestion / idea.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies