artcguy

Can't Override on Form 4797

I am unable to override one "cell" in Form 4797.   I have overwritten a number of them ... right click ... override ... the cell in question turns blue ... and I overwrite.   On the cell in question, it just flashes blue and then reverts to uneditable.    Any idea what is going on  ?

Can't Override on Form 4797

If you double-click the field, does it take you to a worksheet?  Some numbers flow from an upstream worksheet and have to be edited in the worksheet they come from rather than directly on the form itself. 

artcguy

Can't Override on Form 4797

Thanks for the quick response.  I tried the double-click ... but no luck.   It is strange because I have overridden a number of different cells on this form - 4797 ... and this is the only that "flashes blue" and doesn't let me edit ( even though I have edited a number of cells with similar data .... which is the date the asset was "sold" ).

DavidD66

Can't Override on Form 4797

, There are some cells which you cannot enter in directly, nor can you override what is showing.  You will have to change the data source, as indicated by Opus 17 above.

Can't Override on Form 4797

@artcguy wrote:

Are you trying to enter a date that is not during the 2019 tax year?  Make sure you are entering the full date format mm/dd/yyyy.   07/04/2019, not 7/4/19 for example.   Turbotax may sometimes get confused otherwise.  

DavidD66

Can't Override on Form 4797

If you are trying to change the date sold on line 10 - Part II Ordinary Gains and Losses, you will have to make the change at the source form such as the Asset Entry Worksheet.

artcguy

Can't Override on Form 4797

Thanks ... I am actually trying to override the "date sold" field in Part I Line 2 ... but the override function just "flashes blue".   I was able to override the "date sold" field in Part III Line 19 ... so I think that I should be able to override the same field in a different part of the same form.   I appreciate everybody's input ... and just hope y'all might have another suggestion / idea.