turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't import anything from Schwab, button disabled

So many frustrations this year with Turbotax, it feels like nothing is working this time.

My latest frustration: I can't import any of my tax forms from Charles Schwab.  The forms and data are available on Schwab's end, but in Turbotax Premier (on my Mac) the "Continue" button on the window where you enter your Schwab login information is grayed out.  In other words, you can enter your login information, but there's no way to actually move forward and attempt to download. anything.  This appears to be a Turbotax problem, not a Schwab problem, since I can't even GET to the point where the program would go access Schwab's servers.

The forms are way too long and complex for me to want to enter all the data manually... that seems like a great opportunity to introduce errors, and is exactly the reason for using software like TurboTax.  So why doesn't it work?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Never mind, I figured it out.  It's a TurboTax bug.

When you use the MacOS password manager to look up and enter the password for the Schwab account, it enters the password into the field, but the window doesn't seem to recognize that anything has been typed there, and so it doesn't "unlock" the Continue button.  I got around it by placing the cursor at the end of the password "dots" and typing one additional character, then deleting the additional character.  That will turn on the Continue button and you can go forward.

TurboTax: You should fix this, I am sure I'm not the only one stuck and frustrated over it.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Never mind, I figured it out.  It's a TurboTax bug.

When you use the MacOS password manager to look up and enter the password for the Schwab account, it enters the password into the field, but the window doesn't seem to recognize that anything has been typed there, and so it doesn't "unlock" the Continue button.  I got around it by placing the cursor at the end of the password "dots" and typing one additional character, then deleting the additional character.  That will turn on the Continue button and you can go forward.

TurboTax: You should fix this, I am sure I'm not the only one stuck and frustrated over it.

skgeorge108
Returning Member

I never had to enter brokerages pass word in Ttax to import tax document data, however I use Ttax Premier for Windows.

I just finished downloading tax documents from E-trade, Ttax asked for E-trade account number and payers TIN number.. it always works smoothly.

Curious to know how it works out...Tanks Samir  skgeorge108

tomnsf

This is a BUG. It should be fixed. Its only because of this user solution that I was able to proceed. 

What a lousy way to start out my TurboTax for the 2020 season.

I am having the same problem.  All other institutions work,  the scrren does evem give me the ability to enter user name and password.

Katina S
Intuit Alumni

Try following the instructions in our FAQ regarding getting blank screens, missing buttons, or missing images.

@paulrm9031

This issue is When I click on Charles Schwab,  the response is enter you user info,  but there is no place to enter it.  I do not get the same response with other financial  institutions

Katina S
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for the follow up information. If you are using the downloaded or  the desktop version of Turbo Tax, be sure to click on "Check for Updates" and update your software if needed. If that doesn't work you can manually update your software.

@Paulrm903

I am using the home and business download version, it is up to date today and I am having the same issue with importing my Charles Schwab tax documents.  All other institutions work.  It looks like there is a bug and  it hasn't been fixed in the Home and business edition.  I have several accounts at Schwab and do not want to manually enter.  Please let me know when it's fixed by Turbo Tax.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@lynishimoto

Please see the Help Article here for further assistance with your 1099.  

If this still isn't working for you, please try to utilize the workaround posted on this thread here

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

entering password directly into field on import screen 'enabled' the Continue Button.  TurboTax needs to fix this.  2 years in a row it hasn't worked.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies