turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't get TurboTax 2023 will not launch - "Shortcut cannot be accessed"

The program will install on my computer, with the "launch" icon on the startup screen. BUT -- when I try to run a pop-up screen appears.  Explorer.EXE  with a Large Red box white X icon "The item referred to by this shortcut cannot be accessed. You may not have the appropriate permissions."

With the CD it didn't get to the point of restarting and asking for my license code.  Thinking it was a licensing problem. I uninstalled the program. I then went online downloaded the program from my TT account with the same license code.   Same error issue! 

I am the administrator, and sole user of this computer.  I've been installing from the TT Advantage CD for many years, never any issues.  Same computer used as in 2022.  

I spent hours on two separate occasions with TT support.  TT told me I should try Geek Squad support as they saw I had that icon on my home page.  Geek Squad support tried for 90 minutes or so to address the issue.  Geek Squad support (level 2) told me it was a Turbotax issue that others have reported a similar problem. 

Anybody else having a similar problem? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Were you able to solve your issue?

If not, please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have not resolved this problem... please can you help restore my faith in Intuit!   Are you available now?

John Crossley

[phone number removed]

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

This is a message forum. You can call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

This might be the problem though:

The TurboTax user license allows one user to install copies of TurboTax on up to five computers that the user owns. You can also prepare multiple returns, including returns for other people. But the license does not allow, and has never allowed, one copy to be shared among different people.  This year, that license is being enforced by requiring users to log into their TurboTax online account when they install the program for the first time. This locks one particular copy of the program and one license code to one user account. The only way you could install the program on a computer that you do not own, would be to give the other person your online username and password. And even though that workaround might allow the installation, it’s still a violation of the license.  

I have a similar problem. Turbotax will not launch after installation. It asks for my license code, and then redirects me back to sign in. After i sign in, the cycle repeats itself

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You can call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

I have same problem. When I try to launch Turbotax 2023, from desktop icon, it says I don't have permission. Talked to TT support and couldn't do anything to help. Went to Geek squad and they couldn't help either. I have lost hope in TT support!

This is definitely a TT program problem

I had to make use of a different computer to activate the TT 2023 program.  The 2022 tax info loaded onto a USB drive was recognized and populated the 2023 return.  My bad for wasting so many hours on multiple occasions with TT Support and Geek Squad support.

Best wishes to you.... 

Same problem here...TurboTax 2023 will not launch.  Shortcut indicates I don't have permission to open.  Spent 50 minutes with support and no resolve.  GeekSquad could not fix it either.  The disc wouldn't even ask for the license code, but the download version asks for it, loads the software, but it will not launch.  After 10 frustrating attempts I returned the disc to Costco today.  Will purchase H&R Block software.  I have used TurboTaxDeluxe for many years....never again!

Same here.. been a Turbotax user as long as I can remember. Planning to switch to H&R Block. Hoping it can pick up the tax history from last year's filing.

Thanks. I tried switching to a different computer but it didn't help. Planning to switch to H&R Block.

I have a similar problem.  The program loads to the computer, and then when I try to launch, I get a message saying "you are not connected to the internet."  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program several times, always with the same result.  I downloaded the software from the turbotax website, same result.  It says not connected to the internet, which is absurd because 30 seconds earlier I had just downloaded the software.  I've spent hours on telephone with help, and they can't solve the problem.  I even uninstalled my McAfee antivirus.  Still won't work.  Obviously there is a problem with this year's program, but the company doesn't seem to acknowledge it

CatinaT1....TurboTax 2023 will not launch on the original purchasers computer not another computer.  I understand the login requirement....still does not work.  I log in and it will not launch.  When you click on the "shortcut" it indicates "you don't have permission to access".  Then you try to run as the administrator and it won't allow that either.  For all the years I have been using TurboTax I have never had a problem until the 2023 version.  TurboTax help could not fix it and neither could GeekSquad.  The problem clearly is with the TurboTAx Software....yet it appears not to being addressed or fixed by TurboTax.  I will never purchase again.  Switching to H&R Block or some other means of filing 2023 taxes.

reneejo63

I am having the exact issue.  First tried to use CD, then went online to download.  

When I click Launch nothing happens.  When I click on shortcut I get same error message.

What's the fix?

reneejo63

I spent 3 hours on the phone with Turbo Tax assistant.  I have installed and uninstalled TT 2023 three times, still cannot access the app.  

I'm seeing that several other people are having the same issue and it remains unresolved by TT.

How can I get a refund?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies