Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't E-File an extension from the Desktop Version of TurboTax 2023 Deluxe

I am only able to print and mail in an extension.  The only way I can efile an extension is to use the Free Online Version of Turbo Tax. HELP!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

You will be able to e-file a Form 4868 for an extension on this TurboTax website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/irs-tax-extensions/

So does that mean there is no way to e-file an extension from the PC based version of TurboTax? That kind of sucks!

@kcarolan wrote:

So does that mean there is no way to e-file an extension from the PC based version of TurboTax? That kind of sucks!

Correct.  The desktop editions do not support e-filing of the Form 4868.  But you do not need to use the TurboTax online editions to e-file the extension request as the website provided can be used by anyone.

I agree this sucks.  I am now having to help my 93 year old father complete an extension because Intuit changed how the desktop version works.  He was able to complete an extension last year without any issues.  Why would Intuit make this change?  How is this better??? 

I appreciate your posting of the link to e-file an extension. I was able to e-file my extension with your helpful post.   I contacted the TurboTax support twice because I could only find the print and mail option to e-file an extension.  Both support representatives who were very cheerful and friendly asked me which version I was using, online or desktop; however, neither person was aware that the extension could not be e-filed within the desktop version.  I think this points to either a lack of training or perhaps an omission in their searchable resources.  The information with the link should have been made available to me within the desktop version.  It is reasonable to believe that people who are accustomed to e-filing with TurboTax would also expect to e-file an extension with TurboTax.  It was not obvious to me that e-filing an extension could only be done in a different version from the one I was using. 

So that's Really Pathetic. So, I've been using Turbotax Desktop for over 25 years, mostly the Premier version, paying good money for the software, and extra for some services, & now I can't file one lousy form 4868 for an extension electronically FROM my PURCHASED Desktop Software. I've done it in the past with no problems.
Why does Turbotax seem to make using their software, even for long term customers, more aggravating over the last few years? And then they don't educate their customer service people about the changes. Customers, willing to pay good money for good services, shouldn't have to go through these shortsighted changes each year!

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Here is an FAQ: How to File an Extension

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
RobF15e

I agree that this is some BS. Now I have to refill in all the data I already filled into my Premier version. It isn't so Premier if I have to do it twice. I think I am done with turbo tax. It also won't let me auto-download all my stock info - which is why I am having to file for the extension.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You can file an Extension through TurboTax Desktop by going to Federal Taxes > Other Tax Situations > Other Tax Forms > File an Extension.

RobF15e

Not electronically. You must print out the forms and mail them. That is what the entire thread is about.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Here is an FAQ: How to File an Extension

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies