turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can not login to Morgan Stanley Stockplan Connect to import tax data. Tells me invalid username or password. I can access the site directly using same credentials..

I wait till Mar 2nd and guess what, failed again just like last year.

I am done with this manually typing things!

NashayLO
Intuit Alumni

Can not login to Morgan Stanley Stockplan Connect to import tax data. Tells me invalid username or password. I can access the site directly using same credentials..

Are you getting an error code? Sometimes the username and password that you use may not be acceptable in the TurboTax Software. Changing the username or password, or both, may fix the issue. Also, make sure to disable any MFA (multi-factor authentication). 

Please see this TurboTax FAQ, What if I can't import my 1099? - ttlc.intuit.com

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I just tried 2 different MS StockPlan Connect accounts and it had the same result as last year. The IBM one successfully imported but the Cisco account failed.  I imported successfully for 2018 but has failed 2019 and 2020 tax years.

Last year I changed my userid and password to eliminate special characters in the password based on the recommendations but it still failed.  This was prior to trying my IBM account. This works with a special character in the password.  Neither account has MFA enabled.  

Not sure if everyone on here is Cisco but over the past year I've received messages from Morgan Stanley to convert to a Morgan Stanley Access Direct account  for my Cisco account. I remember in the past that during login mid-year 2020 that it intercepted login for account conversion.  In late 2020 I got another email to convert again.  I just tried logging in via a different browser  and it appears that for my Cisco Account after login doesn't go to the account page but brings a page that has the following and won't let me continue past without converting to the new account.  My main browser must have a cookie that allows me into my account.    I wonder if this is the issue with TT when it logs in it gets to this screen and can't get further to get the tax info.

"Action Required: Open a Morgan Stanley Access Direct Account

In order to access your stock plan online, starting December 16, 2020, you must have an Access Direct account. The account opening process is quick and easy.

View frequently asked questions

What you can expect

After you open your account, your assets will be transferred from your limited purpose brokerage account into your new Access Direct account.  We will send you a notification about the asset transfer and close your old account.

With $0 commission for online stock and ETF trades and no annual maintenance fee or account minimums, it’s never been easier to put your stock proceeds to work."

NashayLO
Intuit Alumni

Sometimes the username and password that you use may not be acceptable in the TurboTax Software. Changing the username or password, or both, may fix the issue. 

Please see this TurboTax FAQ, What if I can't import my 1099? - ttlc.intuit.com

I have changed my username and password multiple times and still it doesn't work. Again this is the same issue I have had in previous years. Every year I get the same answer to change my password and make sure there are no special characters. Clearly that isn't the answer.

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Please click the link below to help get you connected to the right person for assistance.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

Exactly!!!!  

msbneb, You nailed it!! 
Thanks!

aflessner

This is extremely frustrating - how about TurboTax actually fixes this problem that has been reoccurring for multiple years and affecting many customers.

I am with Cisco also.   Are we saying this is a problem unique to Cisco, Turbotax, and Morgan Stanley?   Now I have three different parties to point the finger at each other.   No wonder nothing is getting fixed.   Does anyone have a legit fix for this import issue?   Changing passwords does not address it.

It seems to be unique to Morgan Stanley and the conversion of Cisco to these alternatives accounts and has nothing to do with the  userid and password.  I don't know if Morgan Stanley is converting other companies but they haven't with IBM. I would verify with a different browser and if you see the account conversion alert. I would contact Morgan Stanley to see what is the best way for them to disable this to allow for us to attempt to import our 1099 forms.   The question would be if you create the account would this enable the import of the tax documents.   This new MS Access Direct isn't listed as an institution that imports. 

Same problem in 2021, changed the password to no special characters, cannot connect :(

_MZ_
Level 1

I have the same problem and I`m not with Cisco. I do not understand why TurboTax team is saying the problem is with Morgan Stanley and sending us there - we do not care - we are users! As long as the username/password is correct it is your software that has a fault! You should talk to Morgan Stanley to make this experience nice for your customers and not make us do the work for you! Why isn`t there a KB article on your site? Some help? Something more than contact support. Publish a KB article, talk to MS make it work for us! Meanwhile I`m getting more useful information from users on this forums than from TurboTax employees.

I'm an Amazon employee and I have the same problem with the importing, so it is not specific to Cisco. It is frustrating to see every Intuit employee response recommending the exact same fix to remove special characters, given I haven't seen a single response saying that fixed their problem.

I am also wondering if the import problem is tied to the Morgan Stanley Direct Access Account request, as I get that prompt. I really don't want to open a Morgan Stanley Direct Access Account, especially as I'm planning to change my stock account to Fidelity...I especially don't want to do it unless I know with 100% certainty that will fix the problem, and even then, I'd prefer not to...

First and foremost, if we can login to our MS-StockPlanConnect account from all different browsers, that means our passwords are 100% acceptable/legit!! 

If TurboTax required us to change the password just because TT having any system issue or limitation, that's an inconclusive lie! That's a severe TT bug!  (So, TT CS teams/folks, please stop asking or suggestion ppl to do password changes! It should not be a requirement to change our stock-account password in order to use your software. It's not quite acceptable!)

For the ~$100 software that we paid Intuit every year, this should be an easy fix.  If there's any 3rd party security issue on such direct-login, sure i'm fine with it and I understand it.  BUT, PLEASE, at least, allow us to import the PDF file(s) from MS-StockPlanConnect, and then have the TT software to capture and process those numbers automatically.  Is it too difficult to do the read-file + redirect-entries software processing?  (Can just hire an intern to do that, right?)  Or, the DevOps teams forgot to test such MS-Login testcase before shipping the product out??

I can easily enter in my data since I only have 1099-DIV and I have transferred all of my shares out of the stockplan connect anyway but after talking with MS,  I created the MS Access Direct Account as an experiment and can log directly into the new account and the stockplan conect directly without anything blocking the login in all of my browsers.

I next attempt importing and this did not resolve the issue with TT.  I still get the Morgan Stanley has responded invalid username or password. 

With my IBM stockplan account working, I still think this is something related to the account conversions on MS side but not sure what it can be.  MS told me that they are transitioning all Stockplan Accounts to these new Access Direct accounts.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies