dr-jeffandreasta

Can I receive the Federal Solar Tax Credit if I install a 2nd Solar Panel System on my primary residence? I installed a system three years ago and need to add more.

I received the solar tax credit of 30% back in 2019 for the 1st solar panel system.  Can I file for another solar tax credit for this 2nd, entirely new system that I am adding to my roof?
tagteam

I disagree with the solar company's opinion.

I find nothing in the law or instructions to form 5695 that specify that a home may only receive one credit.  If you install new equipment (new panels, new capacity), I believe that qualifies for a new credit.

However be aware that there are no credits for maintenance or repair.  It's also not clear to me that removing a failed system at the end of its life and installing a replacement would count as "new", but that's a problem for another day.