turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I receive the Federal Solar Tax Credit if I install a 2nd Solar Panel System on my primary residence? I installed a system three years ago and need to add more.

I received the solar tax credit of 30% back in 2019 for the 1st solar panel system.  Can I file for another solar tax credit for this 2nd, entirely new system that I am adding to my roof?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I receive the Federal Solar Tax Credit if I install a 2nd Solar Panel System on my primary residence? I installed a system three years ago and need to add more.

I disagree with the solar company's opinion.

I find nothing in the law or instructions to form 5695 that specify that a home may only receive one credit.  If you install new equipment (new panels, new capacity), I believe that qualifies for a new credit.

However be aware that there are no credits for maintenance or repair.  It's also not clear to me that removing a failed system at the end of its life and installing a replacement would count as "new", but that's a problem for another day.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies