Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I make unequal estimated tax payments when income in totally unpredictable each quarter?

We have several sources of non-W2 income:

• My spouse is self employed with a somewhat unpredictable income stream
  • We receive large erratic dividends + capital gains from several investments
  • We actively sell stocks and bonds resulting in capital gains (and occasionally losses)

For the above items, unless I'm misunderstanding the rules, the IRS seems to want us to pay 4 equal estimated tax payments even if we have no idea what the aggregate of these will be at the end of the year? All we can do is take a snapshot at the end of each quarter and write an estimated tax payment for that particular quarter which may vary wildly from the previous quarter.  But, like I said, I do not know if un-equal estimated tax payments are penalized even if using the above strategy makes complete sense for our situation. When I have tried to do this strategy in the past, I seem to end up with a small penalty simply for making un-equal payments (even though we actually overpaid our taxes and were receiving a refund!).

What should we do in this case?

Note that electing to do safe harbor as a workaround is not an option for us this year because we had a one-time very large income last year, so if we used safe harbor we would be extremely overpaying on estimated taxes which we don't want to do.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Can I make unequal estimated tax payments when income in totally unpredictable each quarter?

YES, and you can make therm monthly rather than quarterly if you want but I would do them equal and make adjustments as you see that you are making more than you did the previous year so you dont own too much at the end of the year.

Yes you should make unequal estimates.  You can adjust them during the year.  Also,  FYI- please make payments in whole dollars, no cents.  People who paid exact amounts had trouble entering them on their tax return due to rounding.  

Are you using the Online version or the Desktop installed program?  You can do a lot of planning and tweaking in the Desktop program.   You can pick different amounts or leave the amounts off to write in your own.  

I have never paid 4 equal payments for estimated taxes.   You would have to recalculate for each quarter and take into account what you already paid for the previous quarter(s).   Never received a penalty for not paying enough in that particular quarter.   Only at the end of year when you do your annual tax return if you did not pay enough estimated taxes.

you must estimate your total tax for the year.,
you can base your estimate on prior year's tax , or 90% of this year's tax, whichever is smaller.
each period, your estimated tax paid and withheld must be at least 25% of the estimate, even if your income is uneven,
if your estimate is based on this year's tax and turns out to be wrong you may be penalized.
you can compensate by overestimating.
if your estimate is based on prior year's tax, you know that when you file by April 15, which is also the first estimated tax payment due date. How convenient.

@orchid9 

each period, your estimated tax paid and withheld must be at least 25% of the estimate, even if your income is uneven,

So for example if 90% of taxes owed is $40,000, I would not be penalized making the following unequal payments?

1. Q1 - $11,000
  2. Q2 - $11,543
  3. Q3 - $10,765
  4. Q4 - $10,000

Total: $43,308

But alternatively if I made the following unequal payments it would trigger a penalty because there is a payment less than $10,000 (25% of $40,000)?

1. Q1 - $11,000
  2. Q2 - $9,900
  3. Q3 - $15,000
  4. Q4 - $10,000

Total: $45,900

Even though I paid more taxes in the second scenario than the first.

change Q2 to $8,900

for a total payment of $44,900

Your estimated tax penalty is One Dollar.

@Aquarius5 

Makaio

So here's a scenario question to see if I understand this all correctly: 

-If I have no tax situations requiring estimated taxes Q1-Q3, and have a normal W-2 job making about $100k/yr that's been steady for years, but I come into an unexpected large investment income of say $1,000,000 during Q4.  If I estimate 40% tax rate (Short term capital gains, + NIIT), that'd be an extra $400,000 in taxes.

-I pay the $400,000 in estimated taxes in Q4.

-Does this mean that no matter what I'll still be penalized for not paying $100,000 in each of Q1-Q3, even if I didn't have any money to do so until Q4?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

No, there would not be a penalty in your case but there would be a few extra steps to take in order to indicate that the income was not earned equally throughout the year.  This is something TurboTax can walk you through, though.

@Makaio 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies