turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tate2177

Can I fill out the 8379 injured spouse form online?

for the injured spouse form 8379 what will i need if i have my 1040 AND w2s? and can i fill it out online or do i have to send it by mail. a little help filling out part 3 of the form would be awesome
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CarolynB

Yes you can. Form 8379 lets you (the "injured spouse") get back your portion of a jointly-filed refund if it's seized or offset to pay your spouse's debt.

You must file jointly to use this form. Also, filing an 8379 will delay your federal refund by up to 14 weeks.

To file this form in TurboTax:

1. Open your return.
    (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and click the orange Take me to my return button.)
  2. In the search box, search for injured spouse and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Do you want to claim innocent or injured spouse relief? and carefully follow the onscreen instructions.

Note: Pay close attention to the screens, as some of them apply to innocent spouse relief, which is something else. Leave those questions blank if you only want to claim injured spouse relief.

If you've already filed and your return has been accepted, you will have to mail the form to the IRS using TurboTax to create the form.  

If you are using TurboTax Online, open your return and sign in.  On the Welcome home screen, select Taxes. On the Tax Timeline screen, select Amend (change) return

If you are using the CD/Download product, open your return. 

When your return is open, In the search box, search for injured spouse and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results. Answer Yes to Do you want to claim innocent or injured spouse relief? and carefully follow the onscreen instructions for Injured Spouse.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
CarolynB

Yes you can. Form 8379 lets you (the "injured spouse") get back your portion of a jointly-filed refund if it's seized or offset to pay your spouse's debt.

You must file jointly to use this form. Also, filing an 8379 will delay your federal refund by up to 14 weeks.

To file this form in TurboTax:

1. Open your return.
    (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and click the orange Take me to my return button.)
  2. In the search box, search for injured spouse and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Do you want to claim innocent or injured spouse relief? and carefully follow the onscreen instructions.

Note: Pay close attention to the screens, as some of them apply to innocent spouse relief, which is something else. Leave those questions blank if you only want to claim injured spouse relief.

If you've already filed and your return has been accepted, you will have to mail the form to the IRS using TurboTax to create the form.  

If you are using TurboTax Online, open your return and sign in.  On the Welcome home screen, select Taxes. On the Tax Timeline screen, select Amend (change) return

If you are using the CD/Download product, open your return. 

When your return is open, In the search box, search for injured spouse and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results. Answer Yes to Do you want to claim innocent or injured spouse relief? and carefully follow the onscreen instructions for Injured Spouse.

heard185

Trying to get and complete injured spouse form.  Please help

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies